We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sat. Navs, TomTom and Garmin

the hick

Likes # 0

I have been thinking of buying a sat. nav., to include western Europe for holiday use. I have never used one before. Does anyone know of any major differences between these two major brands please? Any advice much appreciated.

Like this post
anniesboy

Likes # 0

I have a Garmin 255w which I used recently in France,it preformed very well.
As for differences between Tom Tom & Garmin Im not sure each have their devotees .
You could look at a review of sat navs in "Which" at your local library or on line if you subscribe.
Be aware that some sat navs are now available with lifetime map updates for an extra cost about £50.

Like this post
anchor

Likes # 0

I have a TomTom, and to be honest have never used a Garmin.

However, the general opinion is that TomTom is the Satnav of choice, and is certainly the brand leader.

Like this post
Zorst

Likes # 0

I have owned both and slightly prefer the Garmin. But both are easy to use and very good at what they do. The only real difference is that Garmin use NAVTEQ maps where as Tom Tom use TELEATLAS maps. From experience, NAVTEQ maps seem a bit more up to date. If you want TMC (traffic info), Tom Tom is better for this feature.

Like this post
Simsy

Likes # 0

I've had a TomTom OneXL for a couple of years. Just out of the guarantee period it started to misbehave... To cut a long story short, with help from TomTom I deleted/reinstalled the main installtion and all was well again, for some considerable time... but with occassional errors; is sometimes has me about 50 yards or so from where I really am. Often that's not a problem, because if you are 50 yards ahead or behind where it thinks you are you can just turn sooner or later... but when it thinks you are 50 yard to the left or right of where you really are, it may think you are actually on a different road, or even in a river...

Now we're going to France soon, so I want to have a working one. I decided that rather than reinstall again we'd get another unit, because we'd have to buy French map for it anyway, and I suspect that the root of the problems with the TomTom is a faulty drive...

So we ended up with a Garmin 1340, with Western Europ maps included.

I haven't used it much yet, but so far I'm very happy with it. It definately finds the satellites and locates itself much quicker than the TomTom ever did. Maps have a slightly different appearance, but are good. Not better or worse than TomTom, just different. I'm still getting used to the interface, and haven't worked out things fully yet, so I can't give a comprehensive "review" yet, but I certainly wouldn't rate the TomTom as better than the Garmin.

They are similarly priced/specced units, (I think I paid about £120 for the TomTom 2 years ago, and have just paid a little over £100 for the Garmin. The Garmin is lighter/thinner than the TomTom, and would easily fit in a shirt pocket. The Garmin also has cycling and walking "modes", which I don't think my TomTom has, but that may be the case with current models.

The bottom line is, there isn't much to seperate them! If I had to buy another one, I'd probably go for Garmin again, but I'd be easily swayed by prices at the time!

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Although TomTom is European based and very popular, don't rule out CoPilot.

It's certainly worth a look.

I've never used Garmin.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow