We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Blackberry with Virginmedia

ams4127

Likes # 0

I've just taken delivery of a Blackberry Curve 8520 phone from Virginmedia. I can make and receive calls and access the internet with no problem.

Now comes the question.....How do you setup email?

Trying to set it up gives only one option which is to use a "Blackberry Enterprise Server. I do not get the other option as shown in the manual.

Virginmedia website seems to say that the phone needs activating and leads me to another page. This tells me to click on my make of phone and follow the instructions. That page shows every make of phone you could think of except Blackberry!

Going to the Blackberry site and inputting my Pin and IMEI for activation tells me to go (on the phone) to Options - Advanced options - Host routing table and then register. The phone sends this registration message, but nothing happens.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

I just want to connect to my Btinternet account.

Yes, I have tried ringing Virgin's help line but the shortest queue, so far, has been 20 minutes. They don't reply to email queries for at least 5 days.

Any help will be gratefully received.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I've manages to find the answer on another forum. I'll publish here in the hope it may help someone else.

Create and send a text message to 789333 with the word "yes" (without quotes) in the text body. Wait 30 minutes, remove battery (with machine on), wait 10 seconds, insert battery and let the Blackberry reboot. Setup your email as usual.

Why Virginmedia couldn't put this on their website is beyond me.

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

Do you know why a warning is given if you upgrade the phone from ver 4 to ver 5 about having to use Wireless to send and receive Emails after upgrade complete.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

No, I haven't heard anything about that, where did you find it?

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

OK, I see what you mean now. I tried to update to the latest system last night and had a lot of problems.......

Started the update at about 8.30 last night, reading all the various warnings beforehand. It warned that the process would take about 2 hours. By 11.30 (bedtime) it had downloaded 30 modules from 960 so I left it all to run overnight. At 7am it had got to 365 modules from 960.

At this point I had no option but to unplug the phone and shut the computer down.

The warnings were correct....the phone wasn't working. However, a bit of fiddling around found the diagnotic utility, and running it had the phone working again in about 10 minutes.

I then found an email from Blackberry telling me that my phone is now registered with Blackberry wireless. What it is, and what it does is still a mystery.

I left my phone at work so can't play anymore tonight. But I'll go on the forums to see if anyone else has had the same problems as me.

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

Thanks for that info. I have decided to leave my phone at its current level and ask Virgin if they where aware. I hope you can return the phone to its original state.

A word of warning about Blackberry Desktop. Dont update that either. I did and had to restore to original version with that!

I can find no reason to use Wireless options. It all works with USB and GPRS very well. I do not want to have to send emails by wireless.

I cannot find any information about the warning message at all.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Firing up the desktop manager last night produced a message saying that an update to version 6 was available. I installed it and it has cured all the problems I have been having ie. flickering screen, crashing etc. Looks stable now.

My phone is working perfectly again and i will start looking into why the update failed. Incidently, if yours ever does "go wrong" it's very easy to fix. Just go into "advanced settings" and run diagostics. It will find the problems and repair them for you in a couple of minutes.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Yet another post I'm afraid!

Anyway, I've now managed to update the phone operating system from 4 to 5. This is how I managed it.

Connect the phone and run the desktop software. This will show you what edition of operating system software you are currently using and give you the opportunity to update it (if available).

Click "update" and read the warnings. If you are not happy, then cancel. I accepted them and went ahead. The first thing it does is to backup all your apps and settings. Then it starts the download. In my case (and probably yours as well) this means downloading 960 modules. My download shot up to 350 which is where I had called quits the other day. It then quickly downloaded another 150 (ish) modules and stopped. It took ten minutes to get the next 2 modules.

At this point I began to realise that things were starting to lock up. Using Ctrl-Alt-Del I brought up Task Manager and killed both the desktop software and the update wizard. I then restarted the desktop manager and went through the update sequence again. Lo and behold, it immediately downloaded another 200 modules and stopped. I repeated the previous sequence and it got the remaining modules straight away.

The download manager then installed the new system, rebooted, restored all my settings and Bob turned out to be my uncle!

The phone is working perfectly with the new software and seems far more responsive. It also seems to be a little better at picking up the Virgin network.

Sorry about the length of this ramble but I wanted to try to make things as clear as possible for you.

If you have anymore questions then please ask and I will do my best to help.

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

It is the same question really. Do you lose the option to email without having to use wireless to do it?

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

As far as I can tell the answer is no.

One thing which might help is this.....If your phone is already registered with Virgin (and I assume it is) then you don't need to register again. I think that particular message is just for those people who upgrade before registering.

As soon as the update was completed the phone was working as before. On the first reboot it takes you through the initial setup screens again. Everything was the same as before, so I just clicked "next" through them all.

Hope this helps.

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

Interesting but a bit like a minefield. Thanks for your information.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

How to watch the Windows 9 launch event: no live video stream so catch our Windows 9 launch live...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK