We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Photo files re arrange themselves! XP

Stressed Mum

Likes # 0

I have just spent many hours rearranging photo files in a folder and renaming them; putting them all in an order that we can understand - and to start with the renamed files said I couldn't - but discovered the hidden file extension was/wasn't ticked. But I now have problems that when closing the folder and reopening it the files have moved again - this is so frustrating. I have tired copying the folder, copying the files onto a cd to send to my mum but again once copied they are all jumbled up. I have tried selecting a different view from the drop down but cannot find the one that keeps them in the order that I have selected.The date order is no good as I have added extras from a folder taken many moons ago and also the modified date is no good as not all have been modified. The files size or same will not work as this is so variable. Anyone got any ideas how I can save the files in the folder the way that I have set them up and copy them onto CD in the same order?

Like this post
cycoze

Likes # 0

I forgot something else.

make sure you uncheck the "auto rearrange" , next click on "tools" then on the drop down menu click on "folder options", in the new window click on the "view" tab, in the "advanced settings" pane scroll down looking for "remember each folders view settings" and tick it, click on "apply" the "ok", and that should do it.

Like this post
DieSse

Likes # 0

First note that you cannot arrange files in a folder - you can only arrange your view of the filenames.

Secondly you can only arrange the view via the parameters given - ie name, type, size, date.

So all you can do is give them names that arrange them in the order you want.

You say you want them on a CD in the order you choose - but you need to know that when you view the filenames on the CD, then the same things apply to the view on the CD as in a folder - ie you can have different orders on the screen.

If you want to watch them in a fixed order on a CD then you can make a slide-show (Windows Movie Maker will do this) - and drag/drop them into the order you want - and when you record the slide-show onto a CD/DVD, then they'll show in the order you put them in.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia