We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

freeview, pvr and tv set up - HELP!!

spanglecat

Likes # 0

I have recently bought lg 37" tv ( with built in freeview) and a ferguson hhd/dvd recorder(built in freeview+) and I want to know the best way to link this through my stereo and how to set it all up so that I can record and use freeview+. I have at the moment got an hdmi cablea and ariel conecting hdd to tv, then a scart(from tv) to the aux(dvd) connection on stereo (which is not a scart connection but a red and white plug,presently). This at the moment allows surround sound on tv but not on dvd. I am so confused with what cables I need to use, please help!!!
Also when I bring up the progamme guide on telly and press a particular programme it says it is recording, but I dont know to where!! Can I set u recording through tv or will I have to do it from hdd?
Sorry for the ramble but so much to work out and too little time, money and brain cells!!
Thanks to all who take on this challenge!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

To deal first with the TV /dvd recorder.
The aerial lead (co ax) from the main aerial should fist go to the aerial in of the DVD recorder.Then connect with co ax from the DVD recorder Out to the TV in. In this way, the tuner in the DVD recorder and the TV have their own input signal and you can watch one and record on the other. Then connect the DVD recorder to the TV with either (if they have the sockets) an HDMI lead or a SCART if not. Then, whilst watching TV with that remote,fine and the guide for the TV should come up when you press guide. With the DVD recorder on and using its remote, when you press the guide, the DVD recorders guide comes up and you can set the recording. Also if you play a stored programme the tv should auto switch to input from the recorder, or you may have to select the relvant AV channel on the TV.You can, theoretically, record from the tv but I would not bother. Re the stereo I will ask others to comment.

Like this post
spanglecat

Likes # 0

Thank you John Bunyan for your reply. It was most useful and clarifies what I was doing.The only thing I have to work out now is how to get freeview+ working properly and clearly! I think I have to change the input on my tv to the dvd which I was hoping to avoid as it doesnt seem to be as good a reception through that for some reason, but thats just another challenge waiting for me to address! Thanks again.

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

You seem to be trying to achieve video/audio through the HDMI which is quite correct as it carries both. However you then seem to be trying to take a separate audio lead from a SCART which of course is a different input/output. I suspect you can do one or the other but not both at the same time. However without seeing your set up it's difficult to know.

If you have HDMI and SCART connections it's possible the Freeview+ box is defaulting to the SCART rather than using the HDMI route which may give you inferior results. Equally can you adjust the output resolution on the Freeviw+ box? I can on my Humax which offers 576 and 720p with the latter getting the best out of the signal. Also can you change the resolution of the TV for each input? I can on my TV and so I have a higher resolution set for Sky HD (1080i) than I do for Freeview which I set at 720p for my HDMI connection to my Humax STB.

Never use the antenna RF connection except for inputing the terrestrial signal to the equipment.

So lots of variables. Keep trying until you get the best out of your equipment.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...