We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

lower multiple audio file volume levels, at once?

theDarkness

Likes # 0

I am using audacity to lower wav and mp3 volume levels (using its 'normalisation' effect at -10 dB). I need to do this for over 20 audio files, as I am creating a family dvd with multiple photo galleries, each having their own background music. If I do not lower the volume, all of the sound is far too loud on the final dvd playing on any tv and headphones. The program I am trying to make my dvd galleries does not having a volume levelling option (corel moviefactory) for added audio.

So I am wondering if there is a similar tool to audacity that would lower the volume of all my audio files automatically, if I stated which folder they were all in? I do not need to have differing volume levels for each file, only to lower them all in general (eg by -10dB as above) and then let the program do its job. Can anyone recommend anything?

thanks very much for any help

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

corel moviefactory 7 Manual click here

Page 50

Burning your disc,

Under 2,

"Normalize audio Prevents irregular audio levels during playback of your
movie. Different video clips may have different audio recording levels when
created. When these video clips are put together, the volume could vary
greatly from one to another. To make volume levels consistent between clips,
Normalize audio function evaluates and adjusts the audio waveform of the
whole project to assure a balance audio level throughout the video."

also

Batch Normalization using Audacity click here

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

hi, thanks for the reply :) I found out the normalisation feature in moviefactory only works if I add video, and not any photo galleries I create, so I would not need to use it. when I do add video clips, I believe most to be loud enough as it is (even if some clips are slightly lower than others, the "normalisation" effect would not help in lowering any video that I believed to be of a high enough level already!).

normalisation in moviefactory is not available for any photo galleries I would create with added audio/music, but even if it was, I would doubt if it would let me lower any volume levels, which is what I was wanting to do-it would probably, as you say, only try to increase the volume of all my videos to a similar level. audacity was my best best, as I could lower volume levels by setting normalisation levels to less than 0.

I didnt realise that batch processing was available for audacity, thanks for the link

Like this post
DieSse

Likes # 0

MP3Gain does this.

click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks