We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HELP with a freeview TV please

Helspoppy

Likes # 0

I have just bought a 22-inch Widescreen HD Ready LCD TV with Freeview for the bedroom. Initially I was just going to use it to watch dvd's and wasn't bothered about the freeview bit but I thought I might as well use all the functions if possible.

I don't have an aeriel socket in the bedroom.

I have Sky+ HD but only one box and that is in the lounge. I used to have multiroom so the cabling for an additional box is still in situ in the bedroom.

Has anyone any ideas which is the best way to go about getting freeview in the bedroom? Should I pay for an aeriel installation or is there a better/cheaper/alternative solution?

Like this post
onthelimit

Likes # 0

Depends where you are relative to your local transmitter. If the signal's strong enough, you might get away with an indoor aerial in the bedroom. If not, an external one will need to be fitted (unless there's an existing hig gain one in the attic - easy enough to drop a lead into a bedroom).

Like this post
Helspoppy

Likes # 0

thanks onthelimit. I don't have an aeriel in the loft but that can be sorted however I will try an indoor aeriel first.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

You could either pay for an aerial installation or as you say you have already got the cable connected from the Sky dish you could buy a freesat box.

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

Or you could use the existing mutliroom cable to pass the RF output of the Sky box to the TV antenna input in the bedroom. You can also buy devices that allow you to change channel on the Sky box from the bedroom. You'd then get everything you pay Sky for with a minimal outlay and very little fiddling. It would be my choice.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Not sure what the sky box is like but can you not put a splitter connect on the bit that goes from the box to the TV and the other one to the multiroom cabling.
I suppose like dms said you would need to watch whatever programs that you are watching in the living room.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I am 73 and have installed roof and loft aerials quite easily. You do need a good signal and if the indoor one does not work , aloft one might do so.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 930 review: The flagship Windows Phone 8.1 smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Live Blog: Apple financial results, record June quarter, 35.2m iPhones sold, $37.4b revenue

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger