We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Aerial boosters

AlanSplinter

Likes # 0

I live in a very weak Freeview area and I barely get a picture on some channels with an out side aerial and a Antiference signal booster. If I attach another signal booster - so that I have 2 boosters between the aerial & the Freeview box would this boost the signal further or would it have no effect?

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Adding another signal booster will not increase the signal. How old is your aerial/cable? Old aerials/cables can also cause week signals.

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

Some channels are broadcast on lower power than others, so this may be the cause. It is also possible that your aerial may not cover the full bandwidth required for your area.

It would be worth checking any readily acccessible cable connections. Oxidation of the metal can degrade performance and cleaning the connectors can help.

Digital reception tends to be good or non-existent. There is the case when heavy picture break-up occurs with characteristic pixellation. If this occurs only occasionally, then the cause is likely to be atmospheric conditions or local interference.

While an additional booster will increase signal strength, it will degrade signal quality by introducing some additional noise. This will not matter if the quality is already good and the problem is signal strength. An adequate quality is required to enable the error correction processing to function and produce a good picture.

So I would say that it is worth giving a further booster a try but is not guaranteed to work.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

Good advice so far.

Assuming the existing amplifier is located at the aerial end and you have a long cable run, a second amplifier at the set end MAY give some improvement.

The best option is always to receive as large a signal in the first place by using a high quality aerial mounted as high as possible and accurately pointed and then lose as little of the received signal on the downlead as possible by using high quality cable.

Apologies if you've done all that.

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

Two antenna boosters in series can be helpful in some circumstances. For example my son lives a very long way from Winter Hill transmitter (50 miles) but has perfect line of sight. The received signal is so low (but pure) that it's below the threshold of the receiver. Even one booster fails to pull in all the Multiplexes. However adding a second booster in series with the first increases the signal above the threshold limit of the receiver and he can now receive reliable Freeview on all channels.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad