We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Inbuilt Freeview with a Freeview Recorder

jenny1471

Likes # 0

Hi,

I am not sure if this question has been asked before, but I have a TV with inbuilt Freeview.. however it does not record so I've been looking at getting a Freeview Recorder too..

But am wondering if it's possible to use the Freeview Recorder if Freeview is already inbuilt in to the television? I am not technically minded so am struggling to see if it would work although can't really see a reason why not.. i just don't want to waste money on something if it may not work.

Any advice much appreciated.
Thank you
Jenny

Like this post
jenny1471

Likes # 0

Thinking about it I'm not sure it's called a 'Freeview Recorder'. I mean a Hard Drive.. i think. Basically where you can record series of programmes etc on to the hard drive direct from the tv/freeview channels.. :)

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

You could use a DVD recorder but I prefer a PVR. IMHO Humax are the best click here. This will record 2 programmes at the same time, you can watch something you recorded earlier whilst recording and you can timeslip - ie hold a live broadcast whilst you answer the phone, make a cup of tea etc.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

In reply to your basic question, there is absolutely no problem with this. I use a Sony PVR with Freeview and also have a TV with built in Freeview, and also a cable box.

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

Buy a decent quality PVR. marvin42 recommends Humax and I use a Humax 9300 PVR. PVR's seem to suffer from a multitude of bugs in their software and Humax seems the least bug infected after releasing new software earlier this year. If you've never used a PVR you'll be surprised how easy they are and then ask how you managed without one before! With a PVR you can record 2 programmes at the same time and either watch another you recorded earlier or switch to your TV and watch a third programme live. Even I can live with all that choice and not a cassette in sight. Buy a PVR with a large hard disk (250 GB or over, mine is 320 GB).

Like this post
anchor

Likes # 0

I agree with what you have been told. I have used a Panasonic PVR, (with hard disc, and DVD recorder), for over 3 years. I have to say it has been faultless; (touching wood as I write this).

I can easily record any freeview station, and watch whatever I wish on the TV, either a previous recording, or a live transmission. You don`t need to have the TV on to make a recording.

I chose a Panasonic because, unlike the Humax, it can record from external sources, such as my Sky digibox. It can only record one programme at a time, but the ability to record from the digibox was more important to me.

The quality of the PVR recordings, (even on LP), is so much better than my old VHS recorder.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I agree with anchor. I also have a Panasonic Freeview DVD recorder that can record to Hard disc, or to DVD (useful if you want to keep a film), pr to watch a DVD. I think it gives more flexibility than a PVR as it doubles up as a DVD player.

Like this post
jenny1471

Likes # 0

Thank you very much to everyone for your feedback. I've ordered myself the PVR suggested above so am looking forward to recording etc. Thanks again, Jenny

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

A late comment - as Freeview works off your ordinary television aerial, as long as the aerial signal is strong enough you can feed quite a number of devices off the one aerial and connect them up in a variety of ways.

I have (all on one aerial feed) main TV (no Freeview), Sony Freeview box and Humax Freeview PVR in lounge, Freeview TV in kitchen, Freeview TV in diner (with a TVOnics Freeview box connected to that as well for good measure). In addition the aerial output of the Humax PVR is set-up to provide an old analogue style signal onto the aerial cable which can then be picked up by the analogue tuners of the TVs in the kitchen and diner so that can watch Freeview recordings off the Humax box on any of the TVs.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite