We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

500mm Mirror Lens. Help Needed

Mark5001

Likes # 0

Rather stupidly and against all advice I have just purchased a Falcon 500mm f8 lens for my Sonay Alpha 200. I know how to set my camera to accept a lens is attached as it uses an adapter because the lens is screw fit and camera is bayonet. Anyway taking some test shots some came out black and some so white you cannot see anything. I have my iso at 800 and tried various shutter speeds, a skylight filter and ND2x and ND4x filters to no avail.. Are there any good folk on here who know how to get good pics from this £100 piece of.... Oh not allowed words like that on here. Just need a list of the correct settings on the camera.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

You may find this of help

click here

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I've been fiddling with my new Fujifilm S200 EXR and found that changing the ISO speed from 1600(auto) to 400 has been of great help.

Back in the days of 35mm cameras I remember using ISO speeds of between 50 and 400 depending on the circumstances. ISO 50 for a bright, sunny day and 400 for a dull, gloomy one.

One great advantage of digital over film is that you can experiment to your heart's content without building up mountains of used film, and the consequent expense.

I just take mine out in the garden and take dozens of photos with different settings, load them onto the compute, see what worked and what didn't.

Have you tried HDR yet? It can produce stunning results.

Enjoy.

Like this post
Mark5001

Likes # 0

That seems to have helped a bit. Thanks. I will now play with the speeds to get the best results. I seem to be getting fair results between 80 and 400. I'm quite new to these lenses having only used Sony autofocus in Auto mode. The terminology used baffles me, so I tend not to try fiddling with settings.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

There is no such thing as a list of correct setting, apart from putting the camera into full Manual and that includes focussing.

The setting will depend on the available lighting conditions. I think this lens has an aperture range of f/8-F/32, so it should not be too difficult to obtain a decent image at 100-400 ISO.

You should be able to determine the correct shutter speed from the EV scale. Now I'm not sure if this scale is displayed in the viewfinder of the Sony, if not it should be acessible in the menu. As an alternative, viewing the histogram will help.

Basically, If your test photos come out black you need to increase the the exposure (reduce shutter speed)if the test is white then increase the shutter speed.

I would forget about using any filters until you master the basics of the lens

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

There is no such thing as a list of correct setting, apart from putting the camera into full Manual and that includes focussing.

The setting will depend on the available lighting conditions. I think this lens has an aperture range of f/8-F/32, so it should not be too difficult to obtain a decent image at 100-400 ISO.

You should be able to determine the correct shutter speed from the EV scale. Now I'm not sure if this scale is displayed in the viewfinder of the Sony, if not it should be acessible in the menu. As an alternative, viewing the histogram will help.

Basically, If your test photos come out black you need to increase the the exposure (reduce shutter speed)if the test is white then increase the shutter speed.

I would forget about using any filters until you master the basics of the lens

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...