We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Webcams - which one?

JoeC

Likes # 0

I would like advice from anyone with a webcam as to which would be the best one to use. I appreciate it is "horses for courses" but since I don't have a clue about such things (I am relatively computer savvy though) would appreciate some help.

I am looking at 2 just now:- Microsoft Lifecam VX1000 and a Logitech 960-000355.

I would like to know things such as best picture and such like. I would appreciate a decent built-in microphone as well. The Microsoft one doesn't say what megapixel it is (on Comet site) but Logitech is 1.3 MP.Is it best to go for a bigger MP as in a proper camera? I presume an autofocus one is better?

I have seen 20 MP webcams on eBay but I wonder if that is just too much.

In essence, any advice would be much appreciated.

Like this post
mole44

Likes # 0

Have you gone onto amazons site to see what others sat about your choices of webcam,Also put into your search engine your product and on the ende the word review.

Like this post
onthelimit

Likes # 0

Depends what your budget is. I've been using a Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000 for ages - great picture quality and an excellent microphone.

Like this post
JoeC

Likes # 0

Went to Amazon and checked so many webcam reviews it sent me dizzy. Things like 640 x 480 pixels versus 1.3 megapixels just threw me. I am thinking that more megapixels are better for the image people see at the other end.I have looked at the webcam suggested by onthelimit but that appears to be an HD one according to the Logitech website. It sounds tasty though!I read a review about an HD webcam that said there would be too much data being streamed for a normal BB line to handle.
Perhaps a 1.3 MP or 2.00MP webcam will do me, that way I won't get confused. I will hunt around but thanks for the help so far.

Like this post
JoeC

Likes # 0

Reading review of Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000 on this site (It doesn't say it's HD so I presume there is a normal and an HD version). It says up to 1600 x 1200 resolution. Excuse my ignorance but I presume that the resolution can be set to what you want it to be -for example 640 x 480 ? I was thinking that for my daughter - who has a slower internet connection than I do - setting the resolution lower would be beneficial. I just want a webcam that will give a decent image at the other end and the Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000 seems to fit the bill.

Like this post
six-h

Likes # 0

JoeC rather perversely the HD version at Amazon is cheaper than the non HD one! click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July