We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I Need back-up software for away-from-home?

lavyrnia

Likes # 0

Hi,

I have an external HDD which I use to back-up my files from my laptop when I am at home.

I often spend time away from home and am looking for advice on the best method/software of being able to sync/back-up my data to a temporary source whilst I am away until I can get back to my HDD at home.

For example such as: if I had some new important files created away from home is there software that would automatically sync the new/modified files to a temporary location (such as online storage) so then when I get home I can copy them across - and be sure that if my laptop died before getting home my files would still be safe and up to date elsewhere?

I know I could manually back-up everything new I create but was hoping for a more automatic solution that just worked in the background?

Any ideas let me know :-)

Cheers
Danielle

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Depending on the amount of data - if a memory stick (say 5 - 10 gig?) would be enough you could use a "mirror imaging" programme such as FreeFileSynch for the folders concerned and reverse synch when you get home.I think there are on line solutions as well.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...