We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Satellite cable splitter.

rdave13

Likes # 0

I'm using a Sky box as freesat and thinking of buying a cheap freesat box for HD viewing. Does a splitter reduce the signal if one box is always off while the other is used? If there is such a thing would a swich be better? Dont fancy having an extra cable into the house. Thanks for any advice.

Like this post
Chris the Ancient

Likes # 0

If the splitter is a 'passive' one (no amp or power into it), yes, there will be a drop in signal strength - whatever the state of the other box.

A simple switch would not be that simple in that the shielding would become unbalanced and cause a bit of loss of signal quality (unless you can find some form of rf switch.)

CtA

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Wondering if something like this would work; click here
need to scroll down to the grey amps with f-connectors at £18.50 ?

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Loss 4.0dB thats quite a loss if your signal is not good. You need also to consider whether it has DC continuity if you are feeding from a dish (Im nor sure the one in the link does).I would try the plain metal one, internal loss 4.0dB thats not too much of a loss if your signal is good.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Oops ignore the first sentance - I meant to delete it!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Thanks for pointing out the loss.Same as an ordinary splitter. Signal isn't that good, strength is 3/4 the way on the bar and quality is just over half on the bar on the Sky signal test.
I really don't want another cable trailing the floor but it isn't looking good is it? Thanks both for your replies. Can you suggest another possibility?
Google isn't very helpful this time.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

You cannot split the signal between two sat boxes from 1 LNB you will need a twin LNB.

A little information on how an LNB works.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Thanks for your response. I was fearing that and if you did split the digital signal it would be dire.
Could you supply a link to the information, I'd be very grateful.
As a 'fiddler' I might still pursue this problem.
Oh for analogue!

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

You need at least one feed from an LNB for each receiver. It has nothing to do with the loss of signal strength. Each receiver will output two possible voltages to the LNB - either 13v or 18v - and this selects the polarisation of either H or V. Also each receiver will output a 22KHz tone to switch between low and high range of frequencies. So if you split the LNB feed you will have the possibility of any combination of the voltage/tone been applied by either box.

The only solution is a multi output LNB so each receiver has its own feed. You can pick a Quad output LNB (as used by Sky for HD+) on ebay for under a tenner.

Like this post
amonra

Likes # 0

As dms_05 has stated, LNBs are so cheap it's not worth the hassle of trying to split and isolate an existing single feed. I think Lidl was selling a suitable one recently for around £10. It's a simple job providing you can access the dish easily. Good luck.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Thank you all for your advice. Much appreciated. Looks like a new LNB and running another cable.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Is this the actual Note 4 - video

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...