We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wireless keyboards

Styxx

Likes # 0

About six weeks ago I bought a new wireless keyboard, the Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 3000. On paper this has everything I want in a keyboard. It's a full sized keyboard with soft touch, low profile keys, it has a number pad (which isn't bunched up with the main keys), it has shortcut keys for media player, calculator and others, and it even has some customisable keys, which was a nice bonus. Oh, and of course it's wireless. Trouble is, it doesn't work. I have my PC on the floor to the right of my desk, with the wireless dongle in the back of it. The keyboard can't be more than 3 feet in a straight line from the dongle, but it cuts out on a regular basis and characters refuse to register. Does anyone know of a decent wireless keyboard at a sensible price that has a similar set of features? I don't need customisable keys, but they are a nice touch. I'm open to an ergonomic keyboard, but a straight one is just fine to be honest.

Like this post
Styxx

Likes # 0

Oh, and of course, it should be able to manage wireless connection through a table.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I have bad news and good news. I have a HP wireless keyboard and mouse and they also have a short range but with a short cable to move the receiver into line of sight both now work extremely well. I get about a months use to a set of keyboard batteries and change the mouse ones about once a week - I use rechargeables for both.

Like this post
^wave^

Likes # 0

i use a logitech wireless kbrd and mouse the kbrd is great on batteries but i do have to change the mouse ones evry 3-4 weeks cost £19

Like this post
Styxx

Likes # 0

Okay, thanks guys. So are you saying most wireless devices need line-of-sight to receiver to work properly? I've only had one before, and it was similar to yours, wiz-king, where the receiver was on a cable so it could be put on the desk. May have to get a USB extension to put this one on in that case.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I bought the logitech ex100 keyboard and quite happy with it. Batteries seem to last longer than the reviews state. Tried a test and the keyboard still works 3 meters away from the receiver. As the receiver in on top of the desk I tried typing with keyboard on the floor (desk inbetween) and still works.
click here
click here

Like this post
Styxx

Likes # 0

Great, thanks very much! :)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote