We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

freeview picture jamming problem

shwinglow

Likes # 0

i have recently bought a freeview box, but when i have other appliences running ie: kettle/juicer even this computer the tv picture keeps sticking, it doesn't happen if i am just watching tv or watching tv through my video recorder, only when i switch over to my freeview box, anybody got any idea's of what might be causing it and more importantly how can i get it sorted - thanks in advance to any solutions you can send me - trev

Like this post
jack

Likes # 0

From what you report it seems the 'box' is sensitive to voltage spikes- more so than TV and computer.
Invest and an anti surge connector strip available in all electrical outlets.
connect all the 'viewing' devices to it, Free View Box,Recorder, TV

Like this post
Arnie

Likes # 0

If after trying jack’s suggestion with no improvement, please check the following.

Try another SCART lead.

Check the routing of the mains lead to the Freeview box. Is it close to the SCART lead?

If the box uses a plug-in power supply unit, it could also be faulty because of poor filtering.

If you are still having problems, I would try another box. You may be able to borrow one from a friend.
Make sure your friend’s box is tuned to the same transmitter as your box; otherwise a box rescan will be necessary!

Finally: Remember a surge filter strip will rely on having a good quality earth on the wall socket into which it is plugged.

Like this post
Arnie

Likes # 0

Have you checked your signal strength?
Normally the box should have a built-in signal strength monitor bar.

Some boxes are more sensitive than others.

Like this post
onthelimit

Likes # 0

I'm with Arnie - had problems with chaep boxes freezing/pixillating (even though from a quality aerial).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks