We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

EPG Providers

morddwyd

Likes # 0

As reported in other threads, Digifusion Freeview PVRs are no longer being provided with EPG updates, which means they are about to become expensive doorstops.

This means getting, eventually, a new freeview PVR, luckily not a real hardship, but a nuisance nevertheless.

How do I ensure the same thing does not happen again? Where can I find any reviews or forecasts of EPG availability and reliability on the various makes of PVR?

Like this post
john 52

Likes # 0

morddwyd is this what you are looking for ??

click here

click here

Like this post
john 52

Likes # 0

Like this post
john 52

Likes # 0

click here

Sorry for the multiple posts FE

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

Almost all current PVR's use the standard EPG as broadcast by Freeview. I have a Humax PVR, not perfect and fairly expensive but lots of people are devoted to them click here . Take a look on your local retailers shelf and see what they have in stock. Many/most come from the same factory in Turkey and are just re-badged with a well known name.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Almost all current PVR's use the standard EPG as broadcast by Freeview"

And Freeview gets the information to broadcast from a company called Inview Technology.

However, Inview no longer supply such information for certain receivers

click here

and the update contract with the manufacturers of these receivers has expired.

What I want to know is how can I best ensure this doesn't happen again when I replace my receiver?

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

"And Freeview gets the information to broadcast from a company called Inview Technology."

Don't think that's correct. Some manufacturers of PVR's have contracted Inview to supply EPG data streams for some of their PVR's .

I note Humax and many others aren't included in the list you link to, so maybe you should be looking at other makes/models. Remember many/most PVR's are just rebadged generic units from Turkey/China and even within any given Branded Name's range not all models are necessarily from the same source.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Your 17.38 post said "almost all" manufacturers use Freeview and I simply quoted you.

I am "looking at other makes/models"

That's why I posted in the first place!

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

Quote: "Any DVB-T receiver which specifies a 7 or 8 day EPG is using the standard Freeview one, which is continuously broadcast in carousel format on all Mux.
That EPG could be longer in advance (and past) without changing its format, simply by including the extra data.
This would slow the carousel repetition time (or increase the bandwidth requirement), and increase the memory overhead causing some receivers to struggle (many older receivers already do).

The alternative EPGs (eg. TopUpTV) broadcast for a short duration each day and only on one Mux, therefore do not use their bandwidth continuously. "

I think that answers your question - Any DVB-T receiver!

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

For interest click here

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Any DVB-T receiver!"

Except, of course, Digifusion and any others no longer getting the update.

I know about Digifusion; I want to know which others.

The standard Freeview EPG is indeed broadcast, but unfortunately not in a format which can be de-coded by tuners whose manufacturers no longer pay the update fee to Inview, and therefore Freeview.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...