We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

TVs

Astec123

Likes # 0

Is it me or is buying a large screen TV these days just baffling. Currently in the market for a TV of at least 37inches and 1080p, but will happily consider larger screens as well.

My budget is about £400-500 as a maximum. However I also want something with a long warranty of at least 3 years for that price. Does anyone have any suggestions and the reasons why the suggest particular models?

As so far I have been looking for weeks but every day I do some searching I go back on to see the deals on the TV I am most tempted by to find another TV with same specs or a better price.

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

It is surprising how good modern electronics are

I fitted a £13 Argos digital box to my ancient Daewoo 'tube' TV with its 8" looped wire aerial attached. Picked up 70 TV stations and dozens of radio stations from a transmitter 30 miles away. It has totally transformed the TV which struggled with analogue reception

The point I am making in a roundabout way is don't assume that your aerial won't cope. Reception can be very good via a cheap set top box even though the TV set can be old

Panasonic are great. You won't be disappointed

Like this post
anchor

Likes # 0

I echo the remarks made by BT. Our old TV aerial was erected about 16 years ago; (long before digital was thought of). We live in Harrow, and receive transmissions from Crystal Palace.

It receives freeview signals fine; signal strength is given as 10; the maximum.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

There's no such thing as a Digital Aerial per se.
If you have an external aerial and are getting good reception on analogue channels, chances are it will be good enough for Freeview. So called Digital aerials are in fact wide band aerials and will be necessary only in some instances.

We have a very old 7 element aerial and get excellent Freeview reception in Norwich from the Tacolneston transmitter about 12 miles away.

Like this post
Astec123

Likes # 0

Cheers for the suggestion buteman, I did see that TV earlier in the weekend on TV advertised but it is only HD ready so had to discount it despite the amazing price. I think what I am going to do is hold tight to my money for now and wait till LED TVs become more mainstream and 3d has taken on that bit more and re-evaluate the market. Cheers from everyone who took the time to reply.

I certainly never thought of John Lewis for TVs.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Currys are offering a 42"LG for £379 providing you part exchange with any old TV.
I would like to see there faces if they tried to lift my Old TV into their van.
It would take two very fit persons to lift it down my stairs and it should have come with a health warning.
I was indeed tempted by the price
but unfortunately i would also have to put a digital aerial up to get any pictures.

Like this post
^wave^

Likes # 0

lcd or led has to be concidered to

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

With that budget, J Lewis does 5 year guarantee on all their TV's. Samsung are good, as is Sony.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I think Panasonic are the most reliable and normally offer a 5 year guarantee. All models fave freeview, some have built in HD Freesat and Freeview. I would look at the John Lewis website and see what you can afford!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks