We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

MP3 file too big to burn

shellship

Likes # 0

Win XP SP3
I successfully transferred an old LP to my computer using Audacity and, having converted it to MP3 form (90MB), wanted to burn it to a CD. Media Player comes up and says that the file is too big to burn. I can copy it to a USB stick without trouble and it is still 90MB. If I try to copy from stick to CD Media Player comes up again and file is too big again. How do I get it onto a CD, please.

Like this post
shellship

Likes # 0

Just tried to burn from I Tunes in case that worked. Same problem. I have read somewhere that if one wants to make an audio CD there is an automatic conversion to a WAV file which is much bigger. Is this is what is happening?

Like this post
shellship

Likes # 0

Tried Deep Burner. Same problem.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

If you want it to remain as an mp3 then burn it as a data file. Most burners will convert it to a wav file if you try to burn as a music cd.

Like this post
shellship

Likes # 0

Thanks. Think I have got the message. I need to burn it as an audio as opposed to data file and I think that is what is doing the damage. Perhaps burning it to DVD might do.

Like this post
100andthirty

Likes # 0

As Audio it is too big. Your file is about 90 mins of music and a CD holds a maximim of 80 mins.

Perhaps you could edit out 10 mins or split into 2 CDs?

Like this post
mrmillimetre

Likes # 0

I find its always best to record each track individually ans save each one as an mp3 audacity can do this. the other alternative is to cut each track out of the mp3 and again save them individually the problem with what you have done is the resulting cd would be very inflexible as you wont be able to skip tracks or select specific tracks if you so choose. The other consideration is to save them at a bit rate of 192kbs (or less) which is the norm as the file size would be smaller. You should be able to get the whole LP onto one cd if you were to do this. Also consider using Nero to write the cd (i think there is some kind of free version of this)as you can add the tracks individually and also have the option to overburn the cd by a small amount but i think it shouldnt be neccesary

Like this post
shellship

Likes # 0

Many thanks. Will try this but will mark as resolved anyway.

Like this post
ton

Likes # 0

If you want to burn it as an mp3, you have to burn as a data file.

Burned this way it will still play as audio.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes