We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

TV Problem

Chas49

Likes # 0

Is anyone here a T/v techie? I haved a problem with Digital on my Sony Bravia. Set was OK when switched off but - on switching on again later I have no sound on any of the digital channels. Switching over to analogue the sound reappeared. Playing disks from external units and again sound was there. From the internet too - only digital services giving trouble. Any ideas please?

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

The sound received via a terrestrial antenna is contained within the RF modulated signal. Together with the video it is reduced in frequency, amplified and then detected. The video and sound are then separated and the sound is routed to the audio amplifier and then to the speakers. Other inputs, such as Scart or composite video, have had this process performed in the source equipment and the audio is fed directly to the audio amplifiers. So only the final stage in the TV is common to all audio sources.

Like this post
Chas49

Likes # 0

I'm completely gobsmacked. It worked!! Your help is greatly appreciated - for the life of me I couldn't understand why sound was heard from different inputs but not from the terrestrial aerial. This aerial passes through a Panasonic PVR and that was OK - I recorder 1 minute on it and it played back perfectly. That signal was fed through a scart connection to the TV. Sound was heard through an HDMI connection too. Assuming that all the inputs would route sound through the same circuit I was getting even more confused. As I said, thanks a lot.

Like this post
onthelimit

Likes # 0

Try switching off at the wall switch for 30 secs then back on. Sometimes works for other kit when switching off at the set doesn't.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......