We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Why do I get same speed using Gigabit or 10/100?

doninwales

Likes # 0

I'm setting up a home network and am currently testing transfer speeds between two PCs.
The PCs are currently next to each other (for testing - will ultimately be at opposite ends of the house).

I connected each to my Sky broadband router using 2 x Cat6 cables, both only about a metre long.
I transferred a 3.5 Gb file several times back and forth and it took an average of around 7 minutes - equating to approx. 8.3 MB/s (or approx. 66 Mb/sec)

I then realised that the Sky Broadband Router only provided 10/100 speeds.
Indeed I checked on both PCs and they both reported 100 Mbps under Local Area Connection Status.

No problem - I went and bought a brand new Zyxel Gigabit Ethernet Switch (Model GS-105B).
I moved the two Cat 6 cables from the existing router to the new Gigabit switch (adding a third cable from switch to Broadband router to enable internet access.)

I checked the Local Area Connection Status on both PCs and both now reported 1 Gbps.
Great!

I then re-tested the data transfer speed of the same 3.5Gb file between the two PCs.
I obtained an almost identical average of 7 minutes, give or take a second or two.

What ???

I am getting the exact same speed between PCs, whether I'm going via 10/100 network or a Gigabit network!

I 'must' be missing something, but I just can't see it.
I'm using the same, good-quality Belkin Cat 6 cables (both a metre long).
The PCs are correctly reporting 100 Mbps or 1 Gbps depending on which network I connect them to.
But the practical results are identical.

I've read various possibilities including possible effects from firewalls and/or anti-viruses, and suggestions to turn them off.
I 'will' test this, but I can't believe that it is a long term solution to disable these when you want to perform a network transfer.
(BTW, both PCs use AVG Internet Security version 9 to provide Firewall and Anti-virus, with Windows firewall turned off.)

Can anybody offer any advice?
Am I missing something obvious?

Cheers,
Don

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Like all things the speed is up to 100 Mbps.

I could be wrong but I think the speed of the files transfer is determined by the capability of your computers. It has to be read from one computers hard drive transferred and written to the hard drive of the other computer.

Like this post
doninwales

Likes # 0

Thanks for your comments, but both PCs are very powerful. Top of the range CPUs, memory and hard drives, so am confident these are no limiting factors.

The issue is clearly the lan connection, but I just need to find out why......

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Surely it's not why you need answered ... it's how can I alter? *grin* Sorry cant help.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

This may answer your question. click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?