We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Blackberry or iPhone

SURVEY

Likes # 0

Has anyone agonised over which to buy? I need a device that will allow me principally to send and receive emails,log on to various websites and permit me to have my Outlook calendar and contacts shown and synchronised with my PC. I need to be able to easily negotiate the screen as my present phone wich can get onto the Internet has a very small screen that is a nightmare to get to the part of the screen one wants and to read it. Any other extras would be great. Battery life is a consideration also.

Like this post
SURVEY

Likes # 0

With Outlook 2000?

Also because of some of the apparent restrictions on the iphone I am reluctantly veering back towards the blackberry - can you inform me if web browsing is easy - loading pages, zooming in etc (which is particularly good on the iphone).

I also understand that the iphone uses a very small SIM card - does the blackberry take a 'normal' card that I can swap back to another mobile phone if necessary?

Like this post
SURVEY

Likes # 0

Another thought. Looking at my criteria of a phone that is good for calls, web and email with decent screen and quick ability to load pages, move around pages and zoom in - would any other smartphone be worth considering?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

be worth considering?"

Yes, the HTC Desire.

Like this post
FatboySlim71

Likes # 0

With regards to the small sim card the iPhone 4 uses. You can get a free micro sim card adapter that converts the micro sim card back to a normal sized sim card.

After trying the Blackberry for surfing, I found it a pain and rather awkward compared to the iPhone. The iPhone has a proper internet browser on it (Safari). Its fast, fast & easy to scroll up, down, left, right, and zoom in and out on a web page when required.

Browsing is important for me and personally I find the iPhone is the best smartphone for this.

Also, you mention a 'decent screen'. The iPhone 4's screen is outstanding, its razor sharp and the detail is outstanding too. I can quite easily read small text on web pages, due to the iPhone 4's new RETINA display/screen. It has got to be seen to appreciate the screen quality.

Like this post
SURVEY

Likes # 0

FatboySlim71 - Yes, I think I have now discounted the blackberry because of its poorer surfing. So I would now be looking at the iphone or maybe the HTC Desire as suggested by the Forum Editor. The point about the SIM converter is very helpful and would solve one problem for me.

Does anyone use an HTC Desire and if so can it accept a direct sync with Outlook 2000? Also are most apps for the apple also available for the HTC's what I assume is android system?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

has been voted the world's best mobile phone in a survey of the 20 best phones conducted by Tech Radar. click here to read their very detailed review of the phone. The iPhone 4 came second.

An office colleague of mine recently took possession of the Desire, and he says it's the best phone he's ever used. The AMOLED screen display quality has to be seen to be believed, and web browsing is superb and fast. You can read his first impressions of the phone if you click here

You're right in assuming that the HTC is an Android phone, and I can confirm that there's a huge range of apps available.

The HTC sync software supports Outlook 2000.

I have one of these phones on order, but it's in such demand I have been told I'll have to wait six weeks. I've played with my colleague's phone, and based on what I've seen I'm happy to hang on that long.

Like this post
SURVEY

Likes # 0

Forum Editor - Thanks for your response. The HTC Desire sounds like the one for me especially as it will sync with Outlook 2000 (incidentally I have tried to verify this online but have not been successful). All I need to do now is to try and find a good deal with vodafone (the only provider that gets a signalin my area)

Like this post
crazyc1

Likes # 0

If you have not bought yet, it might be worth seeing what HTC announce on 15th September (I think thats the date).
The desire has been around for a while now, and whilst probably still the best Android phone, there are a lot of things coming in the next 3 to 4 months, as the new windows phones will launch, and others will want to keep up. (ie Desire HD)

Like this post
SURVEY

Likes # 0

cheers crazyc1

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow