We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cannot copy DVD dubbed from family VCR

Diemmess

Likes # 0

A previous thread click here has become stale anyway after trying all sorts of ways and trying both Nero and Ashampoo.

8mm Cine > VCR > DVD has had its share of problems, all gone now I've learned on the job.

The final aim is to produce playable several DVD copies of each VCR, so that each of my offspring can have their own set.

Using a Panasonic DMR-EH60DEB (HD,SD and DVD options, I can make playable DVDs - fine.
Then whichever way I try on the PC - simulate, copy from intermediate file, slower rate, and so on, the process always fails during the early part of the write process, just after there is s sniff of info. on the now spoied DVD blank.

I've little doubt that I can copy text or pictures etc to a DVD, but I have never tried this with video before.
I realise there are warnings that most commercial DVDs wont allow copy, and wonder if the Panasonic recorder puts something similar on the new DVD.

Anyone with experience of this please?

Like this post
jack

Likes # 0

In the recorder.
You did do that didn't you.
Then try this Burn Program
Copes with everything I throw at it.

click here

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

How to burn a DVD-Video Disc with Nero Burning ROM: click here

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

If you copy the 'VIDEO_TS' Folder from the DVD's to a Hard Drive on your PC, Then use the above method to burn DVD Copies.

>>I realise there are warnings that most commercial DVDs wont allow copy, and wonder if the Panasonic recorder puts something similar on the new DVD<<:

Only on DVD-RAM discs.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Jack
Tried Express Burn and at least the copy was made!

This will play on the TV Panasonic DVD recorder but merely clicking on the drive in My Computer only gives the message-
"Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your computer."

What have I done?/not done?

Lazarus The 2nd
I will try the VIDEO_TS copy to HD first.....
.... but at the moment will have to burn it from Ashampoo or Express Burn.
Thank goodness for Acronis being able to swop configurations and avoid conflicts from Nero and others at the same time.

Like this post
jack

Likes # 0

down load click here

As suggested - it's FREE and worth a play

Like this post
Confab

Likes # 0

This is a bit of a long shot but some DVD recorders have two recording modes- Video and VR mode. The VR mode allows greater control over editing whereas the Video mode is compatible with other DVD recorders and with PC’s DVD drives.

Make sure that your standalone DVD recoder is recording in Video mode and then do as Jack says and finalize the disc. Also perhaps try some other brand of DVD

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Yes Jack, that's the one that produced a copy.
AND Yes from your ealiest post I did Finalise or as the recorder said Finish the DVDs

The goal posts have shifted:

I've only just realised - None of the direct DVDs from the Panasonic dubbing via its HD will play with WMP on my PC!

They all of course play on the original recorder.

Is this perhaps because unlike the DVDs in question, any files that do play on my PC have the subscript .wmv ?

Like this post
Confab

Likes # 0

You could have a look here

click here

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Confession time :
All I have learned just shows how little I know!

Significantly from Confab's link it would appear my Panasonic doodah does seem to keep its own way of doing things.

Scrolling down the listed units in the database I see WMV is specifically NOT supported.

This [I presume] means that the flaw is in the original DVDs and not in the subsequent software trying to copy these original DVDs.

If so, that would explain the reason for my failures.

Like this post
Confab

Likes # 0

I don’t think that WMV is the issue here. You need to be able to create a finalised DVD in Video mode – One that is playable as a DVD on another brand of DVD player or PC DVD drive. I think that the first thing you should do is to check that the DVD’s you’re creating on your standalone Panasonic writer are playable in another DVD player – perhaps by putting one into your PC DVD player and seeing if you can watch it using say NERO DVD player or any other DVD player that you have on your PC. This should at least eliminate some sort of Panasonic propriety format.

As I said before it could also just be the brand or type of DVD disc that your set up doesn’t get on with. What DVD’s are you using DVD RAM/ -R /– RW etc?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite