We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Virgin V+ HD settings

Dellman

Likes # 0

Just installing new Virgin Media V+ HD box. These are the specs of my 2006 Toshiba HD TV 32WLT66

Diagonal size 32 in.
Image aspect ratio 16:9

Resolution 1366 x 768 pixels
HD formats 720p, 1080i
Image contrast ratio 1,200:1
Screen brightness 500 cd/m2
Horizontal viewing angle 176 °

What should I set the V+ HD box output settings to - 720, 720 wide, 1080 or 1080 wide?

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

"If you’ve got a HD TV, our installers will connect your new V+ HD Box to it when they arrive."

If they haven't what have you paid the £35 installation fee and £49 set up fee for?

Like this post
mosfet

Likes # 0

In my case.. the Virgin instuctions are wrong.
Where they say " tune to the relevant AV channel for scart connection" it should be..
"tune to the relevant AV channel for HD connection"
Doing it to scart, the box crashed every time.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

The question still is
Why didn't the installers set it up for you?

Regardless of what the instructions say, you paid for set up and installation and this should have been done by the installation guys.

Its fairly obvious that to get HD it has to be connected via an HDMI connection and they would/should know this. It shouldn't be necessary for you to have to sort it out yourself.

How different when I bought my new TV from my local Euronics dealer. They took away my old very heavy CRT set, delivered, unpacked, connected all my ancilliary equipment including supplying an HDMI lead for my PVR/DVD recorder, set it all up and demonstrated it. All for no extra charge.

Like this post
Dellman

Likes # 0

The Virgin offer is the self-install option. Its normally £75.

So you just follow the instructions. There isn't any guidance though really as to whether you use 720 or 1080 option.

And when you ring up, they say its down to you to decide!!

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Connect V+ box to TV via HDMI cable and set it to 1080 wide.

I think all HD programs will be in wide screen. Most other programs are in wide screen apart from some old repeats which will be in 4:3. If when watching your TV the picture always fills the TV screen without any black boarders your TV is likely set to wide screen anyway.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 comparison review: Samsung's best ever smartphones...

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review and the mystery of the processor benchmarks