We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Another Coaster?

Diemmess

Likes # 0

A first attempt to tranfer VHS to DVD using a Panasonic Digital freeserve, HD, DVD SD etc.

Family 8mm cine trnsferred to VHS some years ago and I have successfully transferred these tapes to the Panasonic HD unit

The final stage, to burn a DVD. The manual calls it dubbing.

The result will play back on the TV conglomeration but my computer claims it is a blank disk.

The disk needs finishing and the menu appeared on the TV screen for a few seconds while the process worked automatically - I thought.
Plainly it didn't complete the magic finish process and I was too slow to press the right buttons at the right time.

Can I make the Panasonic doo-dah finish the disk now, or have I just spent a long time making another coaster?

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

You can probably put it back in and finalise it. My Sony machine will let you do this, but I usually set it to do it automatically when it finishes copying.
If not, you will probably have to dub it again but make sure you set it to finalise it when it finishes.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

After your comment I tried harder to find the magic words in the Panasonic manual

Success.
On page 56 under Disk Management were the magic words.....
It seems to the writer a logical thing when seting up for transferring HD > DVD to require the details when the recorder is in the HDD mode.

The option to Finalise the DVD can only be found when the recorder is in DVD mode. The procedure is not mentioned during the set-up for Dubbing which can only be done in HDD mode!

Simple once I knew!

... You learn something new every day!

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Those manuals are so obscure at times. My Sony one is much the same, takes you ages to find stuff in it unless you know the correct terminology.

On the other extreme, I just bought a new car (well almost new,just 8 months old). The manual is about an inch thick with instructions for all the different models, so you have to try to sort out the bits for yours, but it also came with an 8 page 'Quick Start' manual, which tells you where the key goes and stuff like that. That's over simplifying things!

Like this post
David4637

Likes # 0

Always try a new option with DVD RW, that way if it does not work - no coaster.
If does work copy to a DVD R.
David

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I have not tried it, but read somewhere that if your PC has a DVD RAM capability (as does the Panasonic) , this medium is easier to use for such things.Maybe someone has tried it. (Also, I think, easier to edit)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

EE brings 4G LTE to Cornwall and a total of 21 new towns

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

5 things Android Wear *can't* do: Smartwatch OS is great but not flawless

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks