We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

To turn the Laptop of or not

steve263000

Likes # 0

I usually turn the laptop off when I have finished with it but of course then you have all the start up procedure to go through. What does the forum think of turning it off fully or just closing the lid and 'putting it to sleep' for a while.

It is normally plugged into the mains and used as a desktop replacement.

Have we got any thoughts one way or the other, and will I damage it at all by leaving it on.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

I use hibernate during the day to save time when restarting and shut-down properly overnight. Leaving it on is just wasteful and totally unnecessary.

Like this post
100andthirty

Likes # 0

Sleep keeps the computer alive using a small amount of power. everything you were working on in held in RAM

Hibernate saves the computer state to hard disc and then powers down the computer and you use no more power than you would if you Shut Down.

Vista (and, I suspect but don't know, Windows 7) has a hybrid Sleep/Hibernate option. This saves the computer's state to both RAM and hard disc. It keeps the computer in Sleep for a while (about 12 hours for mine) and then goes firmly into Hibernate.

If you want to minimise power use and have swift start up, use Hibernate. If you want to have a "fresh start" with Windows, use Shut Down.

Hope this helps

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

As it's a laptop not sure if it would shorten the battery life unless you run it without the battery.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED