We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

playing .mov in windows media player?

marsolen

Likes # 0

Hullo there,

I recently bought a new netbook and the software on here seems to be different to that on my old laptop.

My camera records in .mov format and I am trying to play this on my Windows Media Player, but am having some difficulty. It seems to be playing the sound but there is no picture. I'm not sure if there is a simple way to solve this and I need to simply download a codec or if I would need to convert the file to a type that Windows Media Player will accept.

Incidentally, I have already downloaded a codec to play downloaded video on WMP, but this does not seem to work for playing the .mov file.

If anyone could make any recommendations or suggest a good file converter (I have bad experiences trying to find one that works in the past!) I would be very grateful!

Marusolen

Like this post
stephen13

Likes # 0

Hi, Try downloading Quick time player, Quick time alternative, or VLC Media Player. these may play it without conversion.

Steve

Like this post
marsolen

Likes # 0

Thank you @stephen13, I'll take a look at doing that. Am I right in believing that if I want to video edit in Windows Movie Maker I would need to convert the files anyway. Do you happen to know of a reliable file converter?

Thank you
Marsolen

Like this post
rick808

Likes # 0

You don't mention the make of the camera but if it's like mine, JVC, you don't need to convert the videos just change the file extension to .mpg. If you have lots to do it's worth using a batch renamer such as this - click here

Like this post
stephen13

Likes # 0

Try Any Video Converter, it works ok for me.
Steve

Like this post
john810

Likes # 0

<a href="click here">MOD Converter</a> is a rather professional mod video converter, which is able to convert mod and teach you how to convert mod files. It can convert MOD, TOD, MPEG files into MP4, MP4 AVC, WMV, AVI, FLV, 3GP, MP3, MP2, M4A, WMA, WAV, OGG, etc.
<a href="click here">MOD to AVI</a>

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad