We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HD TV

john bunyan

Likes # 0

This sums up the HD TV situation - many have so called HD TV's but no HD input.
click here

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

A lot of modern TVs have built in freesat so a set-top box in not a necessity for HD. Admittedly there's not a lot of HD material as yet, but it's possible to recieve HD without a set-top box.

Extract from the above link

"It then revealed, however, that almost half of those who believed they were watching in HD had not actually connected the necessary player or set-top box."

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

The thread title actually sums up the cause of this confusion.

In the vast majority of cases they are HD Ready TVs, not HD TVs.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

Whats the difference, not got a hd for TV but the pc monitor is apparently hd and uses a hdmi lead, curious which mine is.

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

Most HDTV's have some way of displaying the resolution of input signals. On my Samsung HDTV you press the Information button on the remote. This then shows, amongst other things, the screen resolution of the incoming signal. If it's just SDTV then no resolution is shown, 720p HD resolution shows as 1280*800 and 1080i HD shows as 1920*1080.

If you are connected by a SCART cable then you cannot be viewing as HD as SCART only supports SDTV.

HDMI supports 576, 720p and 1080i and 1080p. 576 is SD and the other three are HD. 720p shows the screen as one complete image whereas 1080i interlaces 2 images of half screen resolution to produce one complete image. 720p is theoretically better for fast action subjects but in my experience theirs little to chose between 720p and 1080i when viewed at home.

1080p isn't available from broadcast TV. It's essentially a Blu-ray format. DVD is 576p.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide