We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Converting files to DVD standard

taffjones

Likes # 0

I have mpg files that I tried to drag and drop onto a DVD but it won't allow me to do it. Can anybody recommend some software that'll allow me to backup some family footage onto a DVD please? I'm running XP Home SP3 with IE and Firefox.
Many Thanks

Like this post
wolfie3000

Likes # 0

If your looking to just backup the video files then CDburnerXP is good for that.

click here

But if your looking to burn the videos onto dvd to play on a dvd player then DVDFlick is what you need.

click here

With both you wont need to convert the video.

DVDFlick will convert the video for you so it plays on a standard dvd player.

Like this post
taffjones

Likes # 0

wolfie3000,
Sorry about the delay getting back to you and thanks very much for the info but once the video has been converted (by DVDFlick) I can't get them saved to DVD for some reason? It's probably me but when I try to drag & drop into the DVD drive it states that I can't copy the files across. Whenever I copy plain data files to the drive it's fine.

Like this post
jack

Likes # 0

But assuming XP/Vista you will need the third party burner CDBurnerXP as mentiuoned
to achieve the DVD burn
XP etc only burns to CD

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

You cannot just drag and drop files to a DVD in windows XP. You need to use a burning program as mentioned by Jack.

A little more info would help.

i.e. What burning program have you installed on your computer. Are you wanting to play these mpg files from a stand alone DVD player, your computer or just wanting to backup the files.

Like this post
taffjones

Likes # 0

I installed Astroburn Lite and tried to drag and drop but I still get the following message:
"Windows encountered a problem when trying to copy this file. What do you want Windows to do?"
I have since downloaded Nero Lite and that seems to have done the trick. I know it's only a trial version so I'll have to buy the full version.
Many Thanks to you all for helping out a Techno Dinosaur.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014