We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sky+ box to record Freeview.

RoyKeane06

Likes # 0

Hi geniuses,
Does anyone know if it is possible to set up my Sky+ recorder to accept a cable Freeview set up?
Where I live satellite dishes are not allowed and I do not want to chuck it out.
Thanks in anticipation
Mike

Like this post
jack

Likes # 0

If that is what is allowed in your area
carries a fair selection of SKY[but not all]
in addition to Freeview
But thats it if no dishes are allowed

Like this post
jack

Likes # 0

As I haven experience of what a SKY+'box can do
is to experiment.
If you go for cable it comes with its own 'Box'

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Can't see a satellite signal and a cable signal being similar.

The Sky dish is dealing with an infinitesimal signal.

A cable signal, by the very nature of normal cable losses, will be much stronger.

If you don't get an answer here try the Digital Spy forums.

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Get a Sqish click here

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Perhaps the word "Infinitesimal" should not be used in this context as a Sat Signal is measurable.

click here

Like this post
Graham.

Likes # 0

A dish needn't be mounted high on a wall. Anywhere in the garden with a clear view of the satellite will suffice.

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

The simple answer is NO. The Sky+ system will only work with a Sky subscription, if you cancel this then the + functions are lost. In any case it won't work with cable.

Like this post
Newuser2

Likes # 0

I stand to be corrected dms_05 but I have been told that if you cancel your sky sub you still receive some channels, I'm not sure which ones but that's what I've been told

Like this post
CurlyWhirly

Likes # 0

I haven't had a Sky+ digibox for years (as I'm now on Freeview) but when I cancelled my subscription, the recording facility stopped working but I could still receive the free-to-air channels.

I don't think this has changed.

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

Quite correct - as I said before the Sky+ features won't work. However the box will continue as a receiver only and will have no record or playback functions at all - regardless of the channel been Pay or FTA.

No Sky PVR will allow any input from an external source even if you have full Sky+ features enabled.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

Dell adds Intel processor to new Wyse thin client

IDG UK Sites

How to win iTunes Festival 2014 tickets: See Pharrell Williams, Ed Sheeran, Paolo Nutini, Kylie &...