We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Virgin Cable - how dies it work?

jack

Likes # 0

A phone call from one of my flock earlier in the week- said help my Virgin internet has gone down.
I called over to the lady and checked that all was well her end, and a phone call to Virgin caused some tests and checks their end and confirms there was a fault and their man would be coming -- Next week- by Thursday 4th.
The assumption being apparently the heavy rain has got into the external'box'
Today- I called over for lunch and - she is still offline- but and here is the funny one -Virgin TV is working fine
How come?

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

That I don't understand because my modem comes off the same line as the TV with just a splitter in the line and before I got the V+ box the internet came from the TV box itself.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

My TV is connected to an external aerial for free view as well as the Virgin box which make me ask. Was your friend watching a channel via the Virgin box or was it a channel from the external aerial.

Although the signals do come through the same cable I've had time when the BB was down but the TV was OK.

Like this post
^wave^

Likes # 0

bring up a cmd window and type in ping bbc.co.uk
see if that works if it does then she has a connection. try a reboot of pc and modem

Like this post
jack

Likes # 0

With another Virgin user and he said he had a similar problem when 'gas guys' with their leak finder probe that they poke down between paving stones- must have hit a cable result - phone/BB off - TV OK.
Strawballs - we were watching Virgin alright with is multifarious chanellss and the Virgin screen top I/D'er

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

The local end for Virgin customers comprises a coaxial for the TV and a pair for the telephone / broadband all configured within one cable as I recall.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

There are two incoming cables. One for the Phone line and one for the TV. You can get Broadband on the phoneline if you don't have the TV service but the usual way is for the Broadband to use the TV cable. They fit a splitter box on the incoming TV cable with one lead to the Cable box and the other lead to the Cable MODEM. The two cables come from the small terminal box on the outside of your house. What goes on underground from their kerbside box to your house is anyone's guess.

Like this post
jitendrasnv

Likes # 0

Hi,

What kind of cable it is ?i have never heard about it.

Can any one state its use?

thanks

Like this post
jack

Likes # 0

'What kind of cable it is ?i have never heard about it.'

Well it does not mean- a previously unused item.

Virgin[formally NTL World] supply TV/Broadband/Phone to homes via an underground fibre optic cable./

It is not something you buy from B&Q by the metre

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......