We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

itunes help

davecooper

Likes # 0

I am fairly new to itunes having always used other applications for music management. I have set up a folder on itunes for all downloaded and ripped singles. If these singles have come from an album, I can't seem to disassociate them from this album and put them into my singles folder. If I edit the info for the track and change the album title to that of my singles folder, the parent album just gets renamed as my singles folder with both appearing on the desktop rather than the single appearing in my singles folder. Effectively I want to make a compilation album from downloaded/ripped singles. Any help would be appreciated.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Just create a playlist and populate it with songs you want in compilation album.

You can then burn this playlist to a Cd if you want.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

As bremner says, create one or more playlists named as you want and drag and drop into them from the music list. You wont have duplicates, but just look for the playlist on your iPod.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

meant to say drag and drop songs int oth playlists from "Music"

Like this post
davecooper

Likes # 0

Thanks. No probs with creating a playlist. Are playlists sent to the ipod during a normal sync and if so, how do they appear on the ipod? Can I make the playlist appear like an album on the itunes desk top and on the ipod?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

You can call each playlist a name like Singles1 or whatever. That is how it will show on the iPod.Will revert later on other issues.

Like this post
davecooper

Likes # 0

Thanks for the help. On reflection, I am not too bothered about displaying compilation albums on the desk top etc. However, one last qustion. When you import a track, it appears on the desktop as the album or single cover. Once I have added a tracks to a playlist, how do I remove this from the desktop/album list/cover flow etc without deleting the track from the playlist as well?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I would set your iPod to manually Synch. To do this , in iTunes, left click on Edit, then preferences, then devices, then check box "Do not auto synch etc". Then when your iPod appears, you can tell it which to synch. ie only the playlists or whatever,Leave the total,there are not duplicates.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

The i tunes playlists are in fact like an index - they just select certain tunes defined by you. The original tune remains in the main i tunes library, which is yet another index. The actual files are in My Music/ iTunes/itunes music.
So your playlist just directs the system which file to acquire. There is only one original file and if you delete one from a playlist it is atill in the main library ( in i tunes music)unless you delete it from there too, and you will be asked if you want the song to be sent to the recycle bin. I would not try to get rid of the "tags". Still not quite sure why the normal filing does not work for you.Hope you have a back up on another HD!!

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Are you asking how to remove Album Art?

If so right click on a track and chose Get Info. Click on Album Art and delete.

Like this post
davecooper

Likes # 0

I have now realised what question I should really be asking. Every downloaded single appears on the itunes desktop as a cover and also appears on the cover flow on the ipod. I only want album covers to show and not hundreds of singles covers. I just want the singles to show in playlists. Is this possible? If I could put all the downloaded singles into a virtual compilation album on the desktop, that would be even better. However, as explained before, it doesn't seem possible to do this.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback