We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Choosing a HDD?DVD recorder

kathw

Likes # 0

I am trying to find a HDD/DVD recorder that will do the following 2 things
1. Copy from Hard disk to DVD
2. Allow me to watch a recorded program from Hard disk while recording another program to Hard disk

I have asked numerous suppliers if their product does this and all of them keep saying No to one of the questions above.

Does anyone know of a product that will do this?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Not sure of latest model number but I would strongly reccomend Panasonic. I have an older DMR EX75 which works well - you can even edit out the adverts with a bit of practice when creating a DVD from a HD recording.I will check re Q.2 but I think you can do that.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Yes, (Re Q2)on page 15 of my manual it confirms you can make a timer recording whilst watching an HD recording.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

As John says, with the Panasonic you can watch a previous recording whilst recording another program, I should mention that I'm using the Freesat version and I guess John is referring to the Freeview version

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Yes, the freeview version - where my TV is means I would have to lift floorboards etc to route new cables for freesat, and the number of HD channels are few as yet. I also have Pioneer DVD recorder upstairs, bought with a matching Pioneer TV but sadly the TV is no longer made. The DVD recorder is similar to the Panasonic.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

I have a Sony HDD/DVD recorder and recommended one to a friend.

Unfortunately, my model has been superceded and the replacement is a bit of a turkey and doesn't do high speed dubbing from HDD to DVD like mine.

It can't be used for any other function whilst it's dubbing in real time either. Something to be aware of.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Have you looked at Panasonic? Do give feedback.

Like this post
anchor

Likes # 0

I have the same Panasonic model as john bunyan, and confirm what he said. Excellent quality, and I would have hesitation in replacing it with another Panasonic if/when the need arises.

Another handy feature is the ability to start a recording, without watching the TV; then a bit later, (whilst the recording is continuing), start to watch the programme from the beginning. You can fast forward the adverts as normal.

Like this post
LANDCRUISER

Likes # 0

QVC the shopping channel have a panosonic recorder for sale today 2-3-10 at a reduced price,to kathw,have a look on their web site or on the tv today

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide