We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Free view-lack of channels

jack

Likes # 0

A daughter living in Hertfordshire with existing teresrial aerial tuned to Hemel Hempstead - reported the her new Sony 'Freeview'TV could only find 6 stations.
BBC1 BBC2 BBC3 BBC News CBBC ITV
So I went over at the week end for a look see- whilst there I also set up her Sony PVR
It too could only find the same six.
The EPG listed only those six - no others at all

The Freeview checker lists all channels for that Post code.
So it looks like she may have to get the Aeriel man in- unless others of you can confirm this situation for this area

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Before you spend lots of dosh on a new aerial try a small Aerial Booster. Made a huge difference to my reception.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Also double check the aerial lead and connectors. I had a join in a lead that meant my aerial lead was not properly connected to the roof aerial - mended it and got high rating with no booster. I did my own aerial installation - cost only the aerial itself, about £30 (at 72 quite happy to be at roof gable apex!!)

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Perhaps the aerial man my be the best bet, but like all service providers check with local friends on the abilities of the man. Cowboys as ever will charge but not deliver!

Aerial man will have fancy equipment to measure the signal strength and alignment.

Aerial boosters will help if they are current desin for digital signal, but they will amplify everything (noise as well as signal).

Above all and something you can check by youself is a first class coax with properly fitted plugs. NOT as john bunyan found a repair in a cable.

Merely joining as with a low voltage twist and pray type, will almost kill the signal on its own.

Like this post
karmgord

Likes # 0

both the TV & PVR should be able to display the signal strength & quality,read the manual on how to access them then check them first

Like this post
jack

Likes # 0

Tried one of those Ditto result.

As I live 50 miles away from daughters ho,e I guess she will have to sort further- she is a big grown up girl now[52]

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I'm in a poor area for digital reception, so I had to have a decent digital aerial fitted to replace the old one, which was probably new with the house in '68. Then I could get all the channels available, there's still nuthin' on though...

Like this post
jack

Likes # 0

Too right there.
In fact she had hinted from what she had seen of other folks line up - she may not be too bovvered.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips for beginners: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite