We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

longest time youve had a dvd-r b4 begins to fail?

theDarkness

Likes # 0

whats the shortest and/or longest time youve had a burnt dvd-r or dvd+r disc, before it has began to fail on you?

im wondering because many websites state the maximum shelf life, using even the best brands (supposedly verbatim and taiyo yuden) is only around 2 to 5 yrs, click here
yet (predictably) the most dedicated sites on dvd state 30 to 100 yrs! lol click here

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Have memorex cd-rs going back to 03 and still working. Maxell dvd-rs going back to 05 and ok.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

use archival gold DVDs. They'll cost more - last time I bought some I paid around £26 for ten - but they have a special scratch resistant coating, and accelerated age testing puts their life at around 100 years.

Ordinary DVDs will last for varying periods, depending on how they are stored and used. Keeping them dry, and away from light/heat/cold, and using them infrequently will increase their life expectancy. I just tested a data CD that I wrote in December 1997. It's been sitting in its case for about eight years without being accessed, and it worked perfectly.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

I once bought some unbranded 'cheapos' to shift some recordings temporarily. Within a few months the silvering looked as though the moths had been at it. As I had already put them back onto a much larger hard drive I wasn't worried but if I need to archive them I shall certainly not be buying 'cheapos' for the job.

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

I recently bought a large zip wallet for discs. Some websites claim individual jewel cases are far better, and wallets may somehow damage them quicker-but i do not have the space for individual cases for every single disc. I guess the best place was never going to be with standard verbatim/taiyo-yuden discs in individual cases anyway when thinking long-term. If I dont want to spend £5 each on a "Delkin Archival Gold Scratch Armour DVD-R 25 Pack" for £50 on amazon, then perhaps im just better off passwording folders on an external hard drive for primary backup? they are getting cheaper, and storage capacity is getting larger by the minute. A secondary backup of the most vital info could always go on standard verbatim discs.. in a zip case.

As for the Archival Gold discs, ive never seen those before, thanks. "up to 100 yrs" on the pack, but I bet on the not so enthusiastic review websites-thats probably down to around 20 yrs.. lol. I thought the best discs were always going to be the ones that are factory pressed, not what you burn on any standard pc drive, so I wonder how the archival gold discs compare to those. Unless you have to buy a specific archival gold drive

As for what the next generation storage format will be- i dont fancy waiting an age to back up onto any blu-ray, lol, so thats never going to take off. Its popularity doesnt seem to be increasing as fast as I thought it would, even for just playback, so it would seem that standard dvd is still the chosen format, until/if the industry forces everybody onto it in the next few yrs, or something else appears

thanks

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

update:- ive noticed they have single archival gold discs for sale also, i think i will try one of these out, might be handy for family photos - if only they were rewritable

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I never use rewritables as not so reliable in my opinion. -Rs are cheap enough and if a good make will outlast me I think.

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

I tend only to use rws for transferring small amounts of data from one computer to another, and (despite some people claiming it doesnt always work) I always use "file verification after burning" in nero or ashampoo to make sure all files copy to the disc correctly, as with any burnt standard disc. I have never used any rw for a more permanent storage, if its not on a dvd-r or dvd+r, ill just store files on an external or internal hd.

I do have alot of old cds/dvds burnt from yesteryear though, and found one not to work (despite no scratches) so wondered about the long term. I binned the disc, pretty sure the brand wasnt verbatim, shouldve noted what it was, probably a supermarket brand, although I shouldve also checked out the manufacturers name of the disc using click here

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I use flash drives to store and transfer data from PC to PC. CD-R for longevity or DVD-R.

Like this post
I am Spartacus

Likes # 0

Most of my CDs dating back to the early 2000s that I've checked including Kodak Gold has failed. So far my oldest DVD-Rs are around 7 years old, mainly Bulpaq but a few other brands as well and are still OK.

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

I suspect the media will outlast the hardware. For those with a long memory you may recall the BBC did archive some material onto early digital disks and whilst the disks are still readable only one player remains serviceable and when that's gone it's goodbye to the data no matter how long the disks last.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote