We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sony AV Receiver problem

iwest

Likes # 0

I have a Sony STR DN1000 AV receiver, Sony Z-series TV, Sky + HD and a Sony Blu-Ray player. Just wired all together and been through the AV manual to do set up. Broadly works okay, except...

I have to turn the AV Receiver on before all other devices. If not, I get sound but only a black screen on the TV. Any idea why?

If I use the Blu Ray, turn it off and try to watch Sky, I get the Sky sound but only a black screen again (sometimes the picture flicks on for half a second every few seconds but that's all).

When either of the above happen the only solution is to turn all power off and start again (turning the AV receiver on first).

I am using HDMI interconnects and digital optical cables.

Any help appreciated!

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

Think we have found a solution to this..is was the Sky box..! it needed an update to cope with the HDMI interactions...should yo need to this is how to do it..

1) Switch the box off at the mains. [Don't switch off by pulling the power cable at the back. It's not a clean switch)
2) Pull the viewing card.
3) Push and hold in the backup button on the front panel whist switching the mains back on. Keep the backup button held in for 25-30 seconds. If your TV is on you'll see an information screen telling you that the firmware is being updated. The update takes about 10 minutes.
4) Once the update is done the box will switch itself to standby. Switch off again at the mains, then put the power back on. It will take a minute or so for the box to reboot before the green light can be switched on. Go put the kettle on
5) Switch the box on with the remote and flick through the channels until you get an onscreen prompt to put in yur Sky viewing card. At this point your update is complete.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK