We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

TV with internet option

awest3

Likes # 0

I am about to take delivery of a panasonic LCD TV TXL37V10b...It has the capability to access the internet through an ethernet socket on the back of the TV. My PC is upstairs (along with the wifi router) and I do not wish to run a cable between the two. What are my options..? I've asked about a wifi dongle (ethernet one end, wifi adaptor at the other) in Maplins but all I got was blank looks. I've also heard that another wireless router could be setup to act as a bridge..no idea how to do this but I do have a spare netgear router. Any other options or advice most welcome.

Like this post
oldbeefer2

Likes # 0

I'd go for homeplugs click here

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

Thanks for that..its an idea I'd not considered. I'll have a look.

As I can't find (as yet) an ethernet (rj45) to wifi dongle (for want of a better word).

I wonder if I can, using a short peice of male to male ethernet cable, plug into a female ethernet / female USB connector (I can see these on sale) and then plug in a USB wifi dongle to that... ?

there seem to be a few USB to RJ45 connectors but no male RJ45 to female USB connectors...that I can find

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Expensive, but an Xbox 360 might do it? (into TCV then wireless to router?)May be worth a Google .

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

Yep, probably but I never play games...so it would be an expensive option.

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Either use a Wireless Game Adapter or Wireless Ethernet Bridge.

Like this post
Tim1964

Likes # 0

Homeplugs.

£35 a pair if you shop around.

click here

My versions have 4 ethernet sockets instead of the usual 1, very handy.

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

thanks for these suggestions...TV due today so I will soon be able to give them a try.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Not sure if these work if the TV and the PC are on different home circuits (eg Upstairs and downstairs sometimes on differend circuits)

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

I've acquired an RJ45(male)/USB(female) adapter and am now looking for a suitable USB dongle..most come with an installation CD which of course I can't use for the TV.....am I barking up the wrong tree or are there any just plug and play usb dongles..?

Like this post
Tim1964

Likes # 0

As long as the rings (up and down) connect to the same consumer unit/fuse board the they're just the job.

The only time homeplugs can't work is if you have a 3 phase supply into your house.

My son has his XBox upstairs streaming 'stuff' off the downstairs PC via 85Mbps units.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do