We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wireless Headphones + Rechargeable Batteries

kwil2

Likes # 0

Just over a year ago I bought a pair of Tevion wireless headphones from Aldi. They've proved an excellent buy.
I use them solely for late-night TV watching. They came with four AAA batteries with a capacity of 500mAh.
Being NiMH, they don't need discharging before any new recharge.
The unit uses two batteries at a time, so I always have two spare.
They can be charged in excess of 1000 times and there's no way I've come close to that.
However, of late, all four are draining very much more quickly than before, despite no increase in use.
Because of this, I bought a pack of NiMH's from Maplins with a capacity of 1000mAh.
However, despite being fully charged (I have a battery tester etc just to be sure) they're lasting barely half an hour!
Even standard AAA's last considerably longer than that!
I tested them in other devices and they performed very well, so I can't understand why they do so badly with the Tevion.
Nowhere in the instruction booklet does it say the headphones can't be paired with a higher capacity battery.
Besides, even if the original batteries are on the way out, getting 500mAh replacements seems not on. Maplins' latest are 2000mAh and the only way is up!
So, I'm stumped.
Can anyone shed any light on this problem?
Thanks

Like this post
jack

Likes # 0

And have replaced the original set with new AAA's
With this particular set up- you are advised to remove about a third of the lower casing label on each before inserting- so that the overcharge protection device can activate.
I have no idea how this works- but in each chamber near the neg., end is a contact,against the wall in addition to the usual spring.
Is yours similar, and if so, have you carried our the label removal request?

Like this post
Wilham

Likes # 0

kwil2
I suggest you check your charging drvice. The charger ought to reduce voltage to trickle charge or switch off altogether before over-gassing occurs and dehydrates the battery. The change is initiated either by voltage feedback or a timer, -often indicated by led(s).

jack
Some years ago one variety of rechargeables had a bald area on the cylinrical wall near the base. It may have been for a Sony Walkman and I assumed it made sure replacement batts were those recommended,- but could also have been for thermal contact. I do know other batts worked by cutting away part of the cardboard wrap.

Like this post
kwil2

Likes # 0

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Jack: it's news to me that you have to 'tamper' with a battery's casing to have it work!
Again, no mention of this in the instruction booklet - and since the batteries have performed perfectly up till recently, it's unlikely to be a factor.
You mention you replaced the originals - but not if you'd done so with the same or higher capacity ones (I'm asssuming 'rechargeable' ones?)
Did the Lidl headphones come with 500 or above and did you replace with the same or higher capacity? I'd be interested in knowing.
Wilham: the charging device (also an excellent buy from Aldi)I've had for a few months and it charges perfectly (LED's control from 'red' to 'green' and don't allow 'over-charge') So I doubt if it's the charger.
Besides, I've two different battery testers and they show exactly the same level of full charge when a my Aldi (and other)batteries are checked after full recharge. So, the charger itself seems to be doing its job.
The main point remains: why aren't the higher capacity Maplin ones working in the Aldi unit?
Any other ideas?
Thanks

Like this post
jack

Likes # 0

were unmarked- and of course rechargeable from the headphones own charger'brick' this delivers- 150 Mamp

The current batteries are Energiser AAA 850Mamp capacity and I am gettinhg about 12 hours per charge.
I have two sets of phones [my late departeds and my self] so a quick change is possible when needed.
One base unit is connected to the TV and the other is simply the 'Charging station'

Re the overcharge device - did you look in the chambers on the phones?
I notice in your comment to Wilham that the charger seems separate from the phones - what happened to the supplied one?

Like this post
jack

Likes # 0

I than thought - looking at the 'Charging' brick it is of course UK standart and looking further a very small silver label stuck to one side face read
Lidle.
Weltech
Then a UK address

So this I guess meant the charger has to be an 'after import add on' perhaps, and the Aldi version simply leaft the buyer to sort for them selves .
How was your purchase - with or without?

Like this post
kwil2

Likes # 0

Hi Jack...thanks again for your time.
To clarify: the headphones came with a recharging unit within the main rest/receiver pod.
This also allows recharge and shows a green light when recharging.
I rarely use it, since it merely trickle charges.
Consequently, I use the separate charging unit as stated.
You say you're using Energiser AAA's. I take it these aren't rechargeable?
Looks like the hunt for a reason goes on, then...grrr!
Tried raising the issue with Maplins but may as well have talked to my couch!
Regards

Like this post
kwil2

Likes # 0

Jack...meant to say 'are rechargeable' re: Energisers.
Like I said, can seem to see any rechargeables less than '1000mAH' capacity.
I take it you got the Energiser 850's somewhere obvious?

Like this post
jack

Likes # 0

obvious?

Like ASDA!

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

Your headphones will take the power they require, not what the batteries are capable of delivering. Get some decent high powered batteries. I use my old 1800 Mha camera batteries in my headphones (probably the same ones as you, as I bought mine at Aldi) as I now use 2500Mah for my camera equipment.

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

if you take the mahr rating of the rechargable cell and divide it by the ma rating of the charging device you get the number of hours it will take to charge it fully, if the first cells were 500 mahr and the new ones 1000 mahr they will last approximately twice as long in use before they need charging for twice as long

Cheers HC

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 comparison review: Samsung's best ever smartphones...

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review and the mystery of the processor benchmarks