We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sim free Blackberry Storm 2

Voxpop

Likes # 0

I will be buying a new phone next year and at the moment the choice is between the iPhone (coming to Vodafone soon) and the Blackberry Storm 2. However, I don't want to be locked into a 24 month contract as I prefer pay and go. A Vodafone shop staff member told me that if I buy a sim free Blackberry I won't have much functionality, only calls and texting. Does not sound right to me otherwise how could all those mobile phone webshops sell it?

Thanks, people.

Like this post
Chris the Ancient

Likes # 0

That does tend to be the case. Blackberry want you to tie in with a provider on a contract - hence no real chance of a pay-as-you-go for the emails.

I'm actually going the other way! I have a contract sim that I'm going to plug into a BB - but I won't be using the emails etc. - just the phone!

Reason? My present phone is used mostly on Bluetooth and the battery does go flat very quickly. (Not quite sure why. If the phone is in my pocket and I'm away from my Bluetooth, the battery lasts a heck of a lot longer.) But the BB I've got has a much better battery life; hence the 'conversion'.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Any phone will drain its battery more rapidly when Bluetooth is switched on. I toggle Bluetooth off on my phone when I don't need it, and that way the battery charge lasts longer.

Like this post
Voxpop

Likes # 0

Thanks for your reply, looks as if it will have to be the iPhone after all, but what about accessing my e-mail accounts via WebMail in the Blackberry browser, or am I completely misunderstanding the process?

Voxpop
:-(

Like this post
Chris the Ancient

Likes # 0

Unfortunately, because I'm in the car so much, Bluetooth is a bit of a must - even if I don't actually use it, I need to know if somebody has been trying to call me (to offer even more work). My present Nokia was a bit of an upgrade and the battery doesn't last nearly as long as the old one did when Bluetoothed. /Sigh

Like this post
Chris the Ancient

Likes # 0

As I read it, BB tie you to a provider. And, of course, this provider wants to keep the subscriptions coming in over a reasonable length of time. Hence the lack of web facilities.

Never having had (or really wanted) an iPhone (or similar), I'm not sure how the email/web service provider gets their tuppence worth out of you. I suspect that it is in the mobile contract payments in the long run. Certainly, when I looked at putting my contract sim in my BB, the monthly payments would have been far is excess over what I'm paying now.

However, when I (hopefully) expand my horizons with my job next year, I'm probably going to have to bite the bullet and go for the more (tax-deductible) expensive full contract option.

Like this post
stablerpuppy

Likes # 0

if you want to use email, web and mms on your blackberry you do need a blackberry package. however alot of people arent aware that instead of a lengthy and expensive contract, there are 'sim only' plans available that inclue the blackberry package, or that you can get it added to.

because these contacts are only 30 days minimum term and dont include a phone, they are much cheaper, and might be a good option for you because of the short term of them and they are reasonably priced. hope this helps. :)

Like this post
Voxpop

Likes # 0

Thanks stablerpuppy. I have looked into these sim only plans, but will probably go the iPhone pay and go route with Vodafone next year.

Like this post
sparkeyfox

Likes # 0

It can be done with a Blackberry on Vodafone
I was on a sim only deal with vodafone on a rolling month contract £15.00 300 Minutes etc
I bought my own Storm on ebay and then wanted Blackberry services email web etc - vodafone wouldn't do it so requested my pack code and they rang me back next day offered me twice the minutes and full Blackberry service for £20 a month on my rolling contract - bargin!Best phone & package I've had.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch R video review: The most desirable Android Wear smartwatch

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming th)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad