We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

sky + recording & playback gone!!!

paulhis777

Likes # 0

hello
please can someone help i joined sky last year what a nightmare
could`nt wait to cancel !!!
so i did in aug I still have all the freesat channels but I was unaware that I’m no longer able to record or playback all that I have been recording anyone heard of a way to unlock what sky have done to the sky+box
I have many programmes and films that I have yet to watch
Many thanks Paul

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

To use Sky+ you need a Sky+ subscription.

What you are asking for is a hack for the Sky system, which I think is probably against the forum rules.

Like this post
paulhis777

Likes # 0

Thank you for your reply morddwyd
I don’t see it as that
the box is mine and what I have taped on it
I taped for my self to view
I just thought that there would be a simple solution as it is a HARD DRIVE
And to think I know of many people who have a chipped box and card
Which I have always turned down
If I cancel my broadband service will I lose all my data on my hard drive on my PC ?
Thank you again paul

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"the box is mine and what I have taped on it
I taped for my self to view "

Just so, and you can watch it whenever you want.

You just can't use Sky's software, for which you no longer pay, to do so.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Although its a Hard drive its probably not in a format that your PC will recognise.

I recently had this problem with a Freeview HDD recorder which gave up the ghost. I removed the hard drive which had a lot of recorded stuff on it and put it in a caddy, but it wasn't recognised.

Like this post
paulhis777

Likes # 0

thanks guys
if you don`t ask
you won`t know !
thanks paul

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

Sky use the XTV format for recording their PVR programmes. They are encrypted and aren't processed for viewing until they are replayed through the PVR electronics.

As others say you need to be subscribing to a minimum level of services for the Sky+ functions to work fully. Your recordings are still intact but you can't view them unless you resubscribe.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch R video review: The most desirable Android Wear smartwatch

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming th)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad