We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

DVD Recorder attached to TV with inbuilt Freeview

no idea at all

Likes # 0

Hi there,

I will soon be getting a Sharp LCD TV which has built-in Freeview. I have now decided to buy a DVD recorder with Freeview +. I expect to mainly use hard disk memory, but would like the option of burning copies to DVD-RW.

I've been doing a bit of research, and I totally agree with the recommendation of buying a DVD recorder with twin tuner, so that I can record one channel and watch another at the same time.

However, is it necessary with a TV that has built-in Freeview? Or does this theory apply only to the older analogue-style TVs which require an external freeview box?

If the TV has freeview and the DVD recorder has freeview, is that essentially the same as a twin tuner freeview box? Will I be able to record whatever comes through the DVD recorder and then, with the flick of a remote switch, watch whatever comes through the TV tuner? Or is it not that simplistic?

I have no idea because I'm totally new to everything regarding freeview and digital TVs.

I'd appreciate any info you guys can impart, and apologies if this question appears elsewhere on this forum (I did attempt to find it).

Also, any recommendations on DVD recorders would be much appreciated too.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Yes you will be able to watch any freeview channel available via your TV whilst recording from the DVD/HD recorder.

I think some freeview recorders with twin tuners will allow you to record two channels whilst watching another via you TV.

I prefer to burn to DVD-r/+r disks as I found DVD-RW disk not as reliable.

Its difficult to recommend a DVD/HD recorder as it tend to be more of personal choice and how easy it is to use. I went for the Sony RDR-HXD790 as I found it very easy to remove the adverts before burning to DVD.

Like this post
Stuartli

Likes # 0

The recorder will/should have a TV aerial input and output sockets.

You connect the TV aerial's signal to the DVD recorder and use a coaxial aerial extension lead from the machine's aerial output socket to the TV, so you can record a programme and watch another on the TV (via its own integrated tuner).

If you buy a twin tuner DVD or PVR recorder, you will be able to record two different programmes on the hard drive and watch a third programme on the TV.

This will give you an idea of the potential specifications of a recorder and its back panel layout (from a top class brand):

click here (you can download a PDF of the specs).

Like this post
Stuartli

Likes # 0

It would be difficult to find and, indeed, pointless to buy other than an integrated TV these days.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

Be careful that any recorder described as twin tuner provides what you expect.

Some, including the Sony mentioned by BRYNIT have one freeview and one analogue tuner and these cannot be accessed at the same time.

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

click here. I have a 300T and its a brilliant machine.

Like this post
Stuartli

Likes # 0

The T in the Humax machines' model number indicates, not unexpectedly, a twin tuner recorder.

This connection wizard may help solve problems:

click here

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I have two Freeview DVD recorders, a Panasonic and a Pioneer. They can record to built in HD and burn to DVD. The editing on both is quite good (removing adverts etc) . As you can watch a freeview channel via the TV tuner and rcord another freeview channel via the DVD tuner, maybe it is a bit ott to have a twin tuner DVD recorder. If it were me I would plump for the latest Panasonic.
If you need to record two programmes at once, then the twin tuner option as mentioned by stuartli is great.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

I must say that PVR and HD/DVD recorders are a giant leap forward from the the VCR.

The recorded material quality is virtually as good as the original, it can be edited or adverts skipped on the hoof and the timer programming is as easy as clicking on the relevant programme in the electronic programme guide (epg). Not only that, but you can actually find what you previously recorded when you come to want to watch it! Add in chase play and a few other gizzmos and I wonder how I managed without one.

Like this post
no idea at all

Likes # 0

Just wanted to say many thanks to everyone who contributed answers. It was much appreciated.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback