We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Human Electrical Interference

morddwyd

Likes # 0

I know it's been postulated and theorised many times, but is there any actual scientific data indicating that some humans can, by their very presence, interfere with radio transmission?

The reason I ask is that we used to use a video sender that would never work properly if my wife was near, and today I've had terrible trouble with a wireless remote repeater, which transmits IR wirelessly, which disappeared as soon as she went out.

She doesn't carry any sort of electrical gear.

Sounds far fetched I know, but I can only tell it as I saw it!

Like this post
DieSse

Likes # 0

I get all sorts of interference when my wife is near.

;-))

Hope she doesn't read this!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

has frequency. The electrical frequency of the human body is between 62 to 68 Hz during daylight hours, but this changes when we're ill. The degree of change depends on the type and severity of the illness.

There's been a good deal of research into the subject, and a fair amount of disagreement amongst scientists, but it's an accepted fact that a human body can indeed affect some devices. Grab hold of one end of a radio aerial, for instance, and you'll see how your body alters the signal strength - you'll act as an extension of the antenna.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

The stairlift man told my sister that the excess static from her blew up the circuit board in the backrest of her stairlift, and fitted a shield to prevent it happening again.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

Certainly not. Although circuit boards that are in situ and connected usually have sufficient discharge paths to avoid being damaged.

A seat back is an extreme example of a situation where materials are likely to rub together and create static.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Regularly used to crash my computer at work when a static flash jumped from my finger to the keyboard and down between the keys.

Material used in the carpets I suppose; the IT department said that sometimes the damage was worse than just a crash.

Like this post
Stuartli

Likes # 0

Many people experience a static electricity shock if they touch a car's bodywork.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"static electricity shock if they touch a car's bodywork."
I used to have a Citroen BX which had a lot of plastic body panels on it, everytime I closed the door,it arced enough charge to weld two ships plates together... I sold it when I became too paranoid about closing the door and getting my electric shock!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Just for future reference, the secret is to grasp the sill, or doorpost or similar as you get out.

That way the static is discharged to earth as it builds, and there is no sudden shock.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...