We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Download memory card to memory stick

The Potter

Likes # 0

Is that possible if I get a lead to connect the 2?

I'm due to go on holiday in the spring for the first time since I've had a digital camera and don't think I'm going to have enough money to get a laptop to download my images to, so I wondered if I could connect the camera usb to a usb memory stick if I brought a connecting cable (and I'd need advice as to what that's called if it's possible).

The largest capacity SD card my camera will hold is 1GB and I thought, if it worked, it would be cheaper to buy a couple of large capacity memory sticks than several 1GB memory cards.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

TP

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Simple answer No

Like this post
The Potter

Likes # 0

I like simple!

Thank you.

TP

Like this post
DieSse

Likes # 0

You could use this or a similar device. It downloads your card onto a 40GB microdrive.

click here

Like this post
anchor

Likes # 0

The simplest & cheapest answer is to get some extra 1Gb SD cards.

Two for £7.50 here:

click here

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

I would go along with anchors advice.

I have two of the microdrive type a 40 & 80Gb, and have never had a problem, but I know of people who have got back home to find that many, if not all the photos are corrupt.

When I'm away I take my 40Gb Giga one with me click here, but will only use it in an emergency. Much prefering a large number of 4-8 Gb compactflash cards. These I keep in very smart aluminium cases from 7dayshop click here

Like this post
The Potter

Likes # 0

Thanks DieSse but well out of my budget. I didn't know such things existed though so I have learned something.

I have since found out that my camera will take up to at least 4gb sdhc card. I've found I can get 2 for £13 but I just don't know how many I'll need!

If anyone knows where I can get those cheaper, please let me know (although I reckon that's a good price!).

I'm very grateful for you chaps looking at my post - THANK YOU!

TP

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

As to how many cards you will need, when you insert a card in your camera, most cameras have a number that comes up and shows how many pictures you can get on the card at the resolution you have chosen. This is usually several hundred on a 1GB card at an average setting, and will give you some idea as to how many cards you might need.

Another thought is that many high street processing outlets will transfer your images onto a CD for you.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

The instruction manual should give you an idea of the amount of pictures your camera will take.

As an example my Samsung camera will take on a 1m card.

At 10M picture
Superfine mode: 183, Fine 334, Normal 472.

At 3M picture
Superfine mode: 495, Fine 814, Normal 1067.

So unless you are going to take more than 1500 pictures at the highest quality two 4GB cards should be enough.

When you get the cards check they work

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony PlayStation 5 release date, price and specs UK: When is the PS5 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

New Apple TV release date rumours, features: 'new Apple TV next week' rumour

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

How the Oculus Rift VR headset is helping train the surgeons of tomorrow