We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Connecting a basic Freesat 'box' to TV and

jack

Likes # 0

HDD/DVD recorder

My daughter because of terrestrial reception problems, had a Freesat set up installed yesterday.
With no knowledge of what to buy- she simply got the aerial folk to come along with dish, cable and box and do the business-
The box they installed is a Grundig GUFSAT02SD Freesat Receiver has a single SCART outlet
This they connected directly to the TV- leaving the HDD/DVD unit out altogether.
She telephoned me to ask how the recorder could be re connected-
As this has SCART in and out and in the past when I owned the unit- it was in the digibox/HDD-DVD- VCR - TV chain- I imagine this could be a similar set up.
Or can it?

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

The Feesat box only has one tuner and only allows one channel to be viewed at a time.

If your daughter connects the scart from the freesat box to the video in of the HDD/DVD recorder and connects the scart out to the TV she should be able view or record the freesat channels. Connecting it this way should also allow her to watch a DVD whilst recording from the freesat box.

If the HDD/DVD player is a Sony it may have a G-Link controller + cable see instructions, this may allow the channels to be changed automatically on the Freesat box when recording otherwise you will have to change the channels manually.

Like this post
jack

Likes # 0

For example a normal digital set top box- takes the digital input and converts it to analogue to out put to a standard analogue device - Recorder or TV.

I assume however -that a Freesat [digital]receiver out putting to a digital TV- would not do the analogue conversion- or would it?
or am I seeing bogeys when there are none?

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

A HDMI connection, i.e. digital, is not provided with this standard definition set top box.

High definition boxes will be provided with HDMI connectors to link to a suitable TV or other device without the analogue conversion used with the Scart lead.

Like this post
jack

Likes # 0

Where you wrote
'A HDMI connection, i.e. digital, is not provided with this standard definition set top box.'
Does this imply that if not HDMI -not digital- therefore anything through SCART is Analogue?

If this is so the my query is answered as suggested by BRYNIT
It should be possible to 'Chain'- the existing analogue HDD/DVD player
Yes/No?

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

Yes.........link as BRYNIT suggests.

Like this post
jack

Likes # 0

Off to play this afternoon
:-@

Like this post
jack

Likes # 0

I went to the shop and discussed the situation with the two personable Asian young men.
The out come they will collect the Grundig, give full credit and install instead a Humax Foxit model- they did say another sensor[LMB?] would have to be installed all for a price a bit less than John Lewis[Who I thought were pretty good].

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

LNBs are the receiving modules fitted to the dish.

Two will be required in order to both watch a channel and record a different one at the same time.

Another downlead will be fitted.

I just hope there is no chance of the completed building obstructing the path after this expenditure.

Like this post
jack

Likes # 0

Fortunately the new structure is to the immediate west and the dish as installed is fine and giving good service.
The new structure- block of flats build from tiky tacky plywood boxes- like a stack of rabbit hutches
Jeez!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...