We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Blackberry upgrade/change contract advice?

Eviledna

Likes # 0

I have had a Blackberry Curve for a year and I am due to have my handset upgraded. I have a contract with T-mobile but I know I go over my monthly tariff and my monthly bill is around £40 (think my tariff is around £25p/m).

I use my phone mainly to email and text, hardly using the phone for calls. I think I go over my monthly download of email usage.

I really want the Blackberry Bold (Storms touchscreen puts me off) but I want a contract that will give me a higher download limit and less talk minutes.

Searching on the web for mobile contracts has been pretty fruitless as you can only specify talk and text minutes in the comparison search, not email or net download limit usage.

Should I bite the bullet and get a netbook with mobile broadband? Perhaps just using a pay-as-you-go mobile for the occasional call? Is mobile broadband reliable?

I have a 32Gb itouch which I regret buying as free wifi opportunities are very limited.

Or does anyone know of a Blackberry contract that would suit me or a link to a mobile contract comparison website that will let me advanced search for the download deal that I want?

Thanks very much for any responses.

Anna

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

when I'm on the move, and after much searching I found what is almost the perfect combination. I also have a T-Mobile contract, and pay £30.64 plus VAT for a monthly allowance of £200 to use in whichever way I like.

I use a T-Mobile G1, which is the best phone I've ever had (better by miles than my previous Blackberry), and have constant access to email and internet. It's the perfect package for me, and works flawlessly - mail is pushed to the phone at whatever intervals I choose from each of my three mailboxes.

I also use a netbook with a T-Mobile mobile broadband deal, which costs me an additional £12 a month. Internet access is available anywhere there's a phone signal, although I'm less than impressed with the speed, in fact I've just written to T-Mobile to warn them that unless they turn up the throttle considerably I'll be leaving them at the end of the current contract. In a recent survey of Mobile broadband services T-Mobile came bottom of the list for speed, although all the network providers were slammed for not providing anything like the advertised speeds.

Like this post
Eviledna

Likes # 0

I'll look that mobile up and I will also re-negotiate my contract with T-mobile (first finding out exactly why I constantly go over my monthly limits).

I'm not too sure about a netbook etc... because of the problems you mentioned about speed. A mobile contract and phone that works for me will do for now :)

Thanks again for your response.

Like this post
golfpro

Likes # 0

Although I live in Austria, I had the same problems very few phone calls but lots of emails. So I have a Samsung G-600 on PAYG for my phone calls (it will also push emails through if I want it to), and a few months ago I bought a Samsung NC10 net book which I love. I have a broad band dongle 10 GB for €12 a month and its fast. With this my emails are taken care of plus I can contact people on Skype, Face book etc. when I`m out and about.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014