We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to connect to internet via laptop

suedeblue

Likes # 0

I am looking for some advice as i've just ordered a dell laptop with wireless internet connection.
I'm going on holiday and want to know how i can access the internet wirelessly while i'm away.
I am connected to bt broaband at home.
Any help would be appreciated.

Like this post
Tim1964

Likes # 0

You can use the WiFi hotspots in McD's, many pubs/restaurants, motorway services or coffee shops for e.g.

As this is in the 'mobile world' forum, do you intend to use your phone as a modem? If so, what model phone do you have?

I have used a HTC Tytn 2 windows based phone to access the net via 3G and got a respectable 1Mb connection. In this case I just connect the phone's mini USB to the laptops's USB and set the connection to 'USB' on the network page of the phone.

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

You can buy fairly cheap Mobile Broadband dongles from all the major mobile phone operators. If you chose Pay as You Go then you can buy top-ups when you plan to be away. You can then use you laptops USB to connect anywhere you can receive a mobile phone 3G signal. I've an unlocked dongle that I can use on any network and my experience is O2 and Vodafone offer the best coverage with '3' the worse as they have a deal with Orange that switches to 2G when you are out of '3' range.

My local supermarket (ASDA) is offering a £25 deal for a Vodafone dongle that includes 1 GB of data and the PAYG isn't time limited (ie 28 days) unlike everyone elses. For very occasional users this seems a very good deal.

Like this post
golfpro

Likes # 0

You don't say where you are going on holiday, abroad or at home in the UK. If abroad will you be staying in one country or traveling around. If you are going from one country to another, a pay as you go dongle won't be much use as it can only be used in the country of purchase, but if you are staying put then it's the best bet.
In the UK and abroad many B and Bs and hotels have free Internet access, make enquires when you book, or ask when you get there, they will give you the pass word, just enter that in when asked by your computers network connection and your away.

Like this post
golfpro

Likes # 0

Remember an internet conection from a hotel can only be used within range of their router (in your room or in the bar etc).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote