We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Nokia music question

ellie24

Likes # 0

I have a question about some music file. I've got an N95, that also came with a subscription to Nokia's Come with Music.This is cool cause I got a nice phone and all the music I like.But I was wondering one thing: is there any way I could burn some of that music on a cd or two?Would love make a selection and listen to it on my car as well.Any suggestion on how I could do this?

Like this post
dagnammit

Likes # 0

I'm wasting my energy here...

Marjorie copying bits that suit you, eh? The title is "Copying CDs" that's not the discussion here.

The terms of the Nokia agreement are for a single Nokia device. That's it. End of. Final.

The DRM is there to prevent users breaking that agreement.

Oh and that RIAA page is American.

Like this post
ellie24

Likes # 0

Woow people, there's no need to start a fight, take it easy.
I didn't know my little problem can cause such a lively discussion..Anyways it's fine by me, after all it says right there that it's ok to make copies only for personal use, that's all I need to hear.
@marjorie05 thanks for the earlier suggestion, I will try to put it to good use.

Like this post
Marjorie05

Likes # 0

Take a look at this link click here, especially at the end of the page when it says that it's legal "copy music onto an analog cassette, but not for commercial purposes. It’s also okay to copy music onto special Audio CD-R’s, mini-discs, and digital tapes (because royalties have been paid on them) – but, again, not for commercial purposes." Exactly what I've already said, it's legal as long as you don't share with other people and keep it for your personal use.
And tell me when you have a favorite TV show and you miss it what you'll do? Wouldn't be better if a friend of yours records it for you?

Like this post
dagnammit

Likes # 0

Wrong!

Radio and TV broadcasters pay money and the fact that viewers/listeners may record for delayed PERSONAL playback is taken into the sums agreed with the relevant, in this case music, industry.

You are not allowed to re-record the music such as the OP has obtained... it's still by-passing the DRM.

Like this post
Marjorie05

Likes # 0

It's ilegal everything you share with other people, but removing the protection from the songs you bought by rerecording them it's legal. As I've said in my previous post when we used to record a track from a radio, I don't think we did smth ilegal. But all of those are legal as long as we are keeping the files just for ourselves and not sharing with anyone.

Like this post
dagnammit

Likes # 0

Then buy your music under a contract that allows you to play on multiple devices.

The terms of the "Nokia comes with Music" is that it stays on a single Nokia device.

Like this post
ellie24

Likes # 0

Well yeah but it's not the same thing, if u take the camera into the cinema, u will probably do this to share what u have filmed with someone else , like family for example or something like that. I, and I'm just speaking for myself now, don't need to through all this trouble to share the files I was talking about, I just need them to be usable on the devices I own.

Like this post
dagnammit

Likes # 0

Actually you're not allowed to make recordings of songs either. It's still copyright infringement.

Following that logic I should be able to take a video camera into a cinema.

Like this post
Marjorie05

Likes # 0

hi, what I've found interesting is that tunebite thing, it seems that it just rerecords the original files, as I've already told and you can break the law. Also I saw that there are some pretty nice features very interesting

Like this post
ellie24

Likes # 0

If you so,it's fine by me anyways. But could you give a couple more details about the legal ways I could solve my little problem with the files?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...