We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Mobile travel soloutions

gray81

Likes # 0

Hi,
I am starting a year long trip later this year and would like to be able to blog and communicate on route via my phone. I currently have an n95 version 1, I can send emails and upload pictures from here and I can put my memory card from my camera in here to upload photos to share and store.
What I would like to do is connect a flexible silicon keyboard to a mobile phone, can’t seem to find any information out there if this is possible. This would make journal entries much easier as I type much faster on a full size keyboard. This keyboard seems like the best option for weight and durability. Can this be done and if so on what phone, am happy to get a new phone.
Some people have suggested that I just use an internet café, this could be an option but I would like to have my blog written before I visit a cafe so that I don’t spend ages paying to use word. Weight is a big issue for me as I will be travelling mainly by bicycle so a notebook computer would probably be out of the question due to size and power issues. All the electrical items that I take will be charged via a dynamo and solar power.
In addition to this, what do people think I should do to keep the cost of my calls and email usage down. I am currently in a contract with 3 and have the x series silver add on. My contract is due to end before I go away so I am not bothered about keeping it.
Many Thanks

Like this post
Demora

Likes # 0

Something like this might help.

click here

Or you could try click here and download there shopping PDF. On page 30 there is a global SIM Card. But I'm not sure if this covers Data ie internet/wap.

D

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

which country/countries you'll be visiting.

Tell me that, and I'll offer some advice - which will certainly include a recommendation that you don't use a phone for internet access, it will cost you a fortune.

Like this post
gray81

Likes # 0

I have not got a definite list yet but the plan is, New Zealand, Australia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, China, Mongolia,Kazakhstan,Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan,Russia,Ukraine, Europe.

So it looks like it will not be possible to blog from a phone without great cost. I plan to approach all the major phone companies for some sponsorship, no idea if i will get anywhere but if you don't try you don't know.

Thanks

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

it will bankrupt you.

Buy cheap PAYG phones locally as you move from country to country, and throw them away/recycle them when you leave. That will deal with the phone-call situation. For internet access, use Internet cafes, they are everywhere (with the possible exception of Mongolia and China),and they're inexpensive.

If you want a convenient, secure way to keep in touch with friends and relatives via the internet whilst you travel, contact me via email (moderator@idg.co.uk),I may be able to provide you with something that will be exactly right.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide