We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New to this technology...Help!

six-h

Likes # 0

I've been gifted an old phone, it's an O2 X1b.
My daughter thinks that it was using an Orange sim card, and recons that it should be OK to use a Tesco sim which she thinks is also Orange.
Tesco staff don't know if their card will be recognised by the phone, and say if not, it can't be refunded.
How can I find out for sure?
(Tesco didn't have the answer to that one either!)lol
Auy advice?

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Just borrow someones Sim card from another service provider such as Vodafone, Orange, T-Mobile etc and place into your handset. If the phone fires up as normal and you can make a call, the handset is Sim unlocked so a Tesco Sim should work.

Just had the same problem with the other half's Orange HTC Diamond Handset which was locked onto the Orange Network. Sim unlocked the phone for €15 and now she is using my Vodafone Sim in the handset.

Like this post
six-h

Likes # 0

Thanks ßeta,
found two very,very old cards, a Vodafone that had at some time been used, and an Orange one equally old, but never used.
Both gave me access to the controls, and displayed "Limited Connectivity" but of course I couldn't use them.
Phoned O2 and gave them the IMEI No. to see if they could advise if it was locked to them, no definitive answer!
On swapping the cards round again neither is recognised. Display just says "Insert SIM".
Called O2 who swear they have done nothing to cause this, but I'm suspicious!
What's going on?

Like this post
six-h

Likes # 0

Strange!
I had an e-mail notification that FE had posted a message!
Evidently the system telling porkies!!

Thanks again ßeta
Just an update, Tesco mobile helpline did a bit of lateral thinking saying "didn't some chump offer to slip their Tesco SIM card into your phone to see if it was recognised?" Answer, No!

Went back,...they did,...it worked...I'm up and running!

Now all I have to do is learn how to use it!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

but immediately realised that I had posted it in the wrong thread - it was intended for another thread, and would have read as complete nonsense here, so I deleted it.

Like this post
six-h

Likes # 0

Ahh!
The luxury and trappings of "high office"!
the ability to delete! lol

Like this post
six-h

Likes # 0

I'm struggling with setting up the voicemail service.
Tesco advised dial 2905 to set up the service, yep, fine, done that!
Going into Messaging>Voicemail>Get Voicemail, now connects me to the service.
The other option, "Settings" just shows a text page with the number 901 on it.
Pressing and holding the "1" key dials this number, (901) but it is not recognised.
It must be an O2 pre-programmed number.
I've tried changing the number in "Settings", but although it says "Saving", using the "1" key shortcut still dials 901.
How can I change this?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...