We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

increase net speed when using mobile as usb modem?

theDarkness

Likes # 0

I am wondering how to get the fastest possible speeds when using my phone as my laptops usb modem? On my phone im on O2 at around 7.50 per month with their internet deal, and when its connected to my laptop, according to speedtest.net, Im getting 35kbps download and 12kbps upload. I think these values are the average rather than maximum, although not 100% on that:

click here

When downloading programs from any website or playing games the maximum possible speed is a very low 5kbps. Does anyone have any tips for increasing the speed of my connection, if possible? I have heard its possible to get much higher values on O2, as they take away possible limits on a contract deal? Obviously a 'proper' usb modem would be a far better idea, but since Im only on the phone at the moment for the net I wondered if it was indeed possible to increase my speed? thanks for any info.

if anyone else can connect to the internet using their mobile phone via usb I would be interested to know what values they also receive via speedtest.net, and who they are connected with on their phone!

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I use my mobile to connect to the internet when away from home.I connect my laptop to the phone via bluetooth and am also with O2 on the £7.50pm deal.The speeds your getting are very similar to the speeds I get though I find that signal strengths on the phone makes significant changes to my surfing speeds.Also,configuring the web browser to not display images,etc makes the wait slightly more bearable for pages to open(I have BB at home)I havent found any other ways to speed up the connection and tbh I dont think there is anything you can do.

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

thanks very much for the reply. Ive recently found that the fastest browser to use on the pc when its connected to the pc is definately the standard version of opera. It seems to load up sites even with images reasonably quickly on good days (or during the odd hours such as late at night when the majority of mobile net users are offline)! Lol. It will do until 3G internet via mobile phone is more widely available.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia