We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Duplicate Sim Card

Yimbo

Likes # 0

I need a copy of the sim card in my phone for using the phone in my car system, which requires a sim card to be slotted in. I'm told that you can't have a duplicate sim card - ie 2 cards for the one phone. Is this correct? Is is possible to copy the card? If so, how?

Like this post
Chris the Ancient

Likes # 0

An interesting question that got me doing a bit of research on google. But, unfortunately I couldn't see anything there that helps. It does look as though it *may* depend on your service provider - and then I wouldn't hold your breath.

In your situation, I would just get a new sim card and use it exclusively for the car. OK, it's another phone number - but you could redirect you 'normal' mobile to it on an as needed basis.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

will usually only provide multiple SIM cards to business users with more than a certain number of handsets.

Copying a card (on to say, a PAYG card)used to be possible, but now all cards have an updated software version that makes it virtually impossible - apart from the fact that it's a contravention of the terms of the service agreement.

Like this post
Yimbo

Likes # 0

Thanks for your observations - which are along the lines I was expecting. It does seem pretty poor design on the part of my car mamufacturer to require me to have a second phone simply to use in the car. I can't even link up my phone to the car via Bluetooth. It's either a sim card or nothing! Poor show!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Are you sure?

click here

Like this post
Yimbo

Likes # 0

Yes! A bit of over-stating on my part! But I do feel miffed at not being able to use the already built-in (and expensive!!) phone system - other than by having a dedicated car phone (and another phone number!!) Presumably, I could take the sim card out of my phone and into the car, (and vice versa) each time I go for a drive! What a palaver!! It still seems to me a poor piece of planning and design by the car maker!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...