We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cannot top up O2 payg with Abbey card

Grambo

Likes # 0

Had a strange one this morning. Went to top up O2 PAYG online using usual Abbey debit card. Transaction failed couple of times, so I got onto O2 custumer service. I had not got too far into discussion before the guy asked if it was an Abbey card I was using. He went on to tell me that Abbey had changed their procedure, and now require an issue number, or maybe have to issue new card. Next stop was Abbey customer service who were no help at all and did not know about this. Has anyone else had problems with this

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

as far as I'm aware, so I'm not surprised to hear that their customer services people knew nothing about the problem.

Like this post
Grambo

Likes # 0

Correct. Abbey debit cards don't have an issue number. The new procedure that O2 told me about is that Abbey now require an issue number. From that info I can only glean that new cards would be issued. Seems very drastic. All I know is that after transaction failed, O2 guessed first time that it was Abbey card i was using. And I also know that i cannot use that card to top up mobile anymore. Who has the true facts? who knows.

Like this post
hmmmm(the original)

Likes # 0

I've had lots of trouble paying for things online with my abbey card. But I can pay ok when I speak to a person. I think it's to do with Abbeys anti fraud measures being tuned too high. As my card has been cloned once before, I'd rather have a few transactions declined than go throught the hassle of having my card stopped and all the other hassle that goes with it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...